Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Pennant Race

This morning on 680 the host Steak Shapiro declared the Braves the National League Eastern Division Champions. Said there was no way the Phillies or Nationals could catch them. What a way to jinx the team. Steak only cares about making big statements. He’s wrong more than he’s right. Guess I’m like Serena if I let him get to me.
 
The Braves are what, 6-1/2 games in front with 16 games to go (with six with the Phils). The magic number is twelve (or is it ten). Hard to believe. Brian Snitker is the leading candidate for manager of the year, and some fans still want him fired. I read a Sports Illustrated article about the Nationals. SI wouldn’t dare write about the Braves, or perhaps they’re waiting to jinx them come playoff time. The Nationals are crumbling due to an acidic general manager, showing once more how remarkable the Braves record run of division championships was. The article even mentioned that.
 
Acuna is being mentioned not only for rookie of the year but also MVP. He will drain votes from Freddie Freeman and neither will win.

Man I’ve been workin workin workin today. Better than yesterday, which was a killer.
 
Wednesday I zipped out after lunch for a new gas cap at the Subaru dealer. We got to eat catered Willy’s Mexican for lunch at work. Left work around 4:45 and went back to the dealership. The mechanic tweaked a couple of things and I was on the way. The new car wasn’t running bad but now everything’s better, including my disposition.
 
Took Buford Highway to Clairmont to Peachtree Industrial to Windsor Parkway to Roswell Road over to Lake Forest around to Johnson Ferry to get home. Stopped for gas.
 
Took Ceil to Stoney River steak house for our anniversary. Very good. Ceil had lobster bisque, a kale salad, and salmon with rice and spinach. I had a garden salad, French fries, and a burger made with ground steak in house, with carmelized onions, cheese, thousand island, and lettuce. Very good.
 
Got home. Matthew and a friend were watching that sitcom about heaven, with Ted Danson. Ceil and I went upstairs and checked the weather forecast, etc.
 
Tomorrow I’ll be out at the plant most of the day helping with inventory. Some will eat pizza and others BBQ at the monthly sales meeting. Guess I have my pick. Either Ceil or I will take W&MC to the airport. They’re headed out west for a wedding and to hike / camp in the national parks. A vacation to celebrate Will finishing school. He’s had several job interviews, including with a surgery practice that works out of Northside Hospital.
 
Ceil was going back to Charlotte to check on her mom in the rehab facility, but due to the hurricane Ceil will stay at home. We’ll be dog-sitting Okie for the week.

No comments: