Saturday, March 09, 2019

High Scorers

Only four players in history have averaged 35 points per game for a season. This year James Harden is on track to become the fifth.
 
37.6 59-60 Wilt Chamberlain (1st of 4)
37.1 86-87 Michael Jordan (1st of 2)
35.7 18-19 James Harden
35.6 66-67 Rick Barry
35.4 05-06 Kobe Bryant
 
Tuesday night a Wake Forest alum (not David Hall) was making a big deal about Wake Forest leading 17-16.
 
See the end of the Missouri State / Illinois State game? Wild.
 
Experts are saying Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will be drafted first overall by the Cardinals. Last year they used their number one pick for UCLA QB Josh Rosen. A team isn’t ever gonna get good using their top pick every year to draft QB’s. Actually the Cardinals have a decent team if they can just keep upgrading.   
 
Another guy was posting the all-time top five players for every NFL team. He did a decent job remembering some of the old guys, but still made a few mistakes. Said Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford was better than Bobby Layne. Had Bart Starr above Paul Hornung.   
 
Monday I got up and exercised. Did sit-ups and other stuff. Was sore Tuesday but Wednesday my lower back hurt bad. Better on Thursday but by Friday I had another ailment.
 
Went to Red Robin Tuesday night for what I thought was a burger deal.
Should’ve left when I saw the full parking lot.
Should’ve left when I saw all the people waiting.
Should’ve known it would be longer than the 20 minute wait I was told.
Should’ve left when I realized the deal wasn’t what their text message said.
Fuddruckers had a better deal for a better burger…
…and better fries, and more beverage choices.
Should’ve ordered more carefully instead of taking the waitress’ recommendation.
Should’ve remembered the bun wasn’t the greatest.
Couple more shouldn’ts as well.
Shouldn’t have gone in the first place.
Gained back several pounds I had lost.
 
But while at Red Robin the TV was showing the start of the Angels/Cubs game. A Cub lofted a high fly ball to the edge of the warning track in right center. Two-time MVP centerfielder Mike Trout went after the ball, battling the sun in his eyes. At the last second Trout tried to make a basket catch, but the ball tipped off his glove and landed at his feet. Trout’s next step kicked the ball past the rightfielder toward the right field corner. Trout dashed after the ball, grabbed it, and fired to the cutoff man, but the batter had raced around the bases and slud into home plate safely – an inside the park home run.
 
I just don’t recall Ash Wednesday being a big deal on my radar screen. Maybe I was always working. Coach O’Leary’s daughter is Catholic and often went to services, and gave something up for Lent. Didn’t hear much about it at JFBC but I didn’t hear the announcements or read the bulletin this last week.
 
Wednesday lunch was the extra burger and fries I had left over from Red Robin. Left work just after five for my long drive north to Coal Mountain for Hot Stove. Should’ve skipped supper but caved – stopped by Taco Bell. Need to order one burrito but its so easy to order two.
 
Good meeting at Hot Stove. A guest shared his baseball memories, which were numerous and good. Details to follow. Left at 9:10 and didn’t get home until 9:55. Over 30 miles. M had a friend over and Ceil had gone upstairs to read. I took Barney out and watched Whiskey Cavalier. Very good. Played on my computer while watching. Slept like a rock. Today my back pain is pretty much gone.
 
Last week Ceil had bought the wrong kind of muffins, so I’ve been eating one for breakfast this week.
 
Anna drove over today to visit before leaving for spring break. Her midterm review by an expert from NYC was the best in her class.
 
Taxes are a pain.
 
Thursday night Ceil was wanting to go to Pappasitos, but I talked her into eating at Luckys Burgers & Brews in Brookhaven, next to LA Fitness and across from Costco. Luckys was having a special. I’d been to the Luckys in Roswell. Food was okay. Not as good as Moxie Burger or Fuddruckers. Better than Red Robin.

Luckys lets you bring your dog onto the patio, so Ceil wants to take Barney. Lots of TVs in the sports bar, so Ceil got to see the Clemson women beat the Hokies in overtime. Saw where a Wisconsin player had achieved a feat only a few players had reached, including Larry Bird.  
 
Friday: one of our plants was having a catered lunch. I was invited, but I skipped. Always a long line, they run out of food, which I don’t need anyway. 
 
Recently Goldman Sachs in NYC was one of the last corporations to relax their suits-only dress code. Reading the below article I stumbled across the “midtown uniform” – dress shirt, slacks, and a zip-up vest. I was never a big fan of vests, but guess I should get with the program. I’m seeing a lot of quarter zip golf pullovers, which is more to my liking. That’s what all the Braves execs wear, and you know I want to be like them.  
 
Sometimes it’s fun to wear ties, but nowadays for me it’s only for weddings and funerals. Wore one to work for fun one day and felt like it made me look even older. Lately I’ve been looking for baseball ties, but haven’t seen any good ones. Found a tie with toasters on it but didn’t buy it. A Masters tie would be cool. Matthew wanted a tie that looked like a fish, like Don Nelson wore when he coached the Bucks back in the 80’s. Got one for him but I’ve never seen him wear it to work. I would never wear a fish tie. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
 
 
I really have been eating slower myself. At home at night Ceil is finishing before me.

No comments: