Thursday, December 12, 2019

Focus Group Fun

Wednesday “Holiday Lunch” was the same Dreamland BBQ turkey and ham, with the same fixins. Very good. After lunch I drove over near Perimeter Mall for my focus group. They had pizza there but I was too full.
 
When they were walking me back to the waiting area I could hear a commotion. Several people were already waiting and were talking. Usually people come in and play on their phones until its time to go in. I needed to check some work emails but kept getting drawn into the conversations, so I tried to oblige.
 
The focus group leader came out and asked the 12 of us a question to gauge the room: “who would you take to your prom?” Several interesting answers including Mary Magdalene and Anthony Bourdain. I didn’t want to sound too psycho so I said Meg Ryan. Later I realized the group leader asking the question looked a little like Meg Ryan. The leader lady went to confer with her understudy. They divided the 12 into two groups. Kelly sent all the talkers to her understudy, leaving me in a group of normal people. Had lots of fun. At one point I broke into my Myra Marsh Southern accent voice to make a point. Lots of laughter. Although most of the 12 arrived early, I was awarded the early bird prize.
Left Perimeter and headed north on 400, which was already jammed. Stopped by North Point Mall to get a watch battery for my 15 year old Bulova Braves Radio Network watch, that I’ve decided to start wearing again. Found a jewelry repair place just inside the entrance. As I was waiting I noticed the name was 316 Jewelry Repair. I checked it out – sure enough, it is a Christian business. North Point Mall was kind of desolate, though it was 430 pm on a Wednesday. The Sears had closed.
 
Left North Point before five with two hours to get to Coal Mountain for the Hot Stove gathering. Drove up 400 to McFarland Road to browse one Goodwill, then up Hwy 9 to Cumming to another.
 
Home by ten. Skipped supper, for the most part. C had gone down to eat with Anna at the Westside Taqueria. She was watching Hallmark movies. M had taken his last final exam, and had picked up El Porton Mexican. I went to bed at 11 pm.
 
Last night just saw Anna’s finished Christmas card design that she completed for our family. I gave her full editorial control. Looks great. Hopefully they’ll come in so I can get them mailed out.
 
Rodrigo Blankenship was named academic all-America and first team SEC but did not win the Campbell Trophy for the top academic football player. Some QB with a 4.0 in biology won that. Tonight is the awards show so we find out all the other winners.
 
DON DRYSDALE [SABR Bio] his record of most home runs hit by a pitcher on Opening Day was tied by Madison Bumgarner tie - 2 OD HRs on 11-Apr-1959 & 12-Apr-1965MadBum hit 2 in the same OD G 02-Apr-2017. One season Drysdale homered in five of his pitching victories - 1965:  5HR in 5W = 12-Apr; 06-Jun; 11-Jun*; 06-Jul; and 19-Aug*. *Hit off Hall of Famer Warren Spahn. He had a canine nickname. Nickname was “Airedale”.  Handsome Airedale terriers were originally bred to serve as versatile hunting and working farm dogs. In Britain they have also been used as a war dogs, guide dogs and police dogs.

No comments: