Friday, February 21, 2020

Dodging Bullets

Almost got in two wrecks yesterday. On the way to work I was merging into the left turn lane on eastbound Jimmy Carter, so I could turn north on Peachtree Industrial. I take this route almost every day. A car came speeding west right toward me, also in the middle turn lane. I had to swerve back right toward the lane I’d just vacated, almost hitting the car that had been tailgating me. Close call.
 
Then at lunch I was headed south on Peachtree Industrial when a light went yellow. The car to my right braked, as did I in the right lane. In my rear view mirror I saw a big white work van swerving from the left lane, across my lane behind me, all the way across to the turn lane to my right. I quickly let off my brake to provide extra room for the van to pass behind without hitting me. The van just missed me. Now in the turn lane at the red light, the van had to turn right into the business park. Then it made a U turn and used the green light to zoom on ahead of me. Guess he was in a hurry.  
 
I like my ham salty.
 
Saw where Trae went for fifty.
 
I haven’t lifted this many weights since high school. Trying to do a little more each time. Running is harder. I’m doing my four miles but hopefully in March I can walk less and run more. At some point I’ll need to move it outside and run in the mornings. The hills will be tough, especially with my hip. I had been walking on an incline but stopped to save wear and tear on my hip. We’ll see.  
 
NCAA Final: Indiana vs Syracuse: the game that Keith Smart hit the winning shot for Indiana. His teammate was Steve Alford.  Before the Damon Bailey era, the greatest player in basketball history. I always remember that game because I was in a hotel in Sidney Ohio, traveling for work. A company had bought Jim Suggs company and was sucking information out of me before shutting it down. Right after I had bought my first house and gotten engaged. But I started at Tull in August and got married in September. Not too much has changed after that.
 
I remember the Villanova/Georgetown national championship because David Deeter and I were volunteering at the Morningside Homeless Shelter that night. I think now he has an office on State Bridge Road near the Avalon.
 
I remember NCAA games at the Omni with South Alabama, LSU, Michigan with coach Steve Fisher and guard Rumeal Robinson. UCLA was the fourth team in the Omni that year. They had a star, but I forgot who. Not sure if LSU had Shaneille O’Neal or Chris Jackson, who changed his name to Matmud Abdul Rauf. Bobby Cremins used to call Shaquille “Shaneille.” Not sure who I went with. Maybe David Hurt or Tom Leuze. Hung around outside the Omni watching Billy Packer prepare to do a live broadcast. He kept complaining that he was missing valuable time inside the arena talking to players.
 
Well I did it. Bought tickets to Steve Martin & Martin Short at Chastain Park. Then I saw where parking is over $100.00. Guess I’ll be learning how to use Uber. Checked two other websites and tickets there were more expensive. Had to wait a couple of minutes for the computer to update. Was scared it would be sold out.

Thursday: C and A left out about 630 for Murfreesboro. This morning they head to Nashville. I lifted weights and dropped off a carload at Goodwill. Watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.  
 
Boss brought donuts this morning. He always forces me to eat an apple fritter. Good thing I hadn’t eaten breakfast. Lunch meeting to be catered by Willy’s. I made a taco salad.
 
KEN CAMINITI  [SABR Bio] is the only player to switch-hit home runs in a game three times in a week - 3 Ambi HRs = 16-, 17- & 19-09-1995. He fractured bones in his lower back while deer hunting in the offseason. Fractured 3 lumbar vertebrae falling from a deer blind between the 1999 & 2000 seasons. He only played in 59 G in 2000 for HOU and was traded after that year. His Astro teammates elected him to be their representative during the 1994 players’ union confrontation with ownership. He was loved and respected by teammates and fans alike.

No comments: