Monday, February 10, 2020

Weekend

Left work Friday and went to the gym. Ran my four miles in a decent time. Ceil wasn’t going to go but changed her mind. While there I asked her if she wanted to go to Moxie Burger afterwards, but she declined. Got home and asked if she wanted to go to her favorite pizza place, Pizzeria Lucca (which is right next to The Mill, that place on the Roswell Square. At first she said no but then later we went.
 
We’ve been to Pizzeria Lucca enough where we know what to order: half the Lucca pizza for C and half meatball for me. But instead of a small pizza they ordered a large, so we had more leftovers.
 
Small group at 830 Saturday morning. We were sitting there in Rob’s den. It was hard not to notice the snow coming down outside. I didn’t think much of it since it was above freezing. I figures it wouldn’t stick to the roads, but when we went outside at 1030 the hilly road was white. We snapped a picture to share with our Sunday School class, saying we’d braved the snow to meet.
 
Buddy asked Joe to take him home, since Buddy’s Mercedes was a rear wheel drive and Joe had a four wheel drive SUV. My little Corolla was parked behind Buddy’s Mercedes, facing up the hill. I had a little trouble pulling around the Mercedes and getting up the hill. Then at the bottom of the hill I realized I needed to scrape the snow off all the windows, so I got out to do that. Then I had to make a right on 120 and drive up the hill to make a U turn. More cars had driven on 120 but it was still slushy, and I slide a little bit more. Then a left onto my street. The hills were slippery but I made it home without too much of a problem. Still, and eventful and hilly mile-and-a-half home.
 
I shared our group picture on social media, tagging JFBC Clay Smith, who responded “Good job, men!” I wasn’t fishing for a compliment, just trying to work his name into my post along with a joke about making snow angels.
 
Stayed inside the rest of the day. Later M went to work, and C ran some errands, but by then the snow was long gone. Housework and laundry, and a little Parenthood on TV, and the Pebble Beach golf tourney and a little XFL. Supper was spinach, potato slices, and chicken. Lots of people were tuned into that Duke/UNC game. Hated the uniforms.
 
Several North Point locations cancelled services, but not Johnson’s Ferry. Sunday school and worship. I hadn’t eaten breakfast and C wanted to stop by Publix on the way home, so I suggested we eat at Pappasitos. The parking lot was full. I dropped C off at the door and parked at the lower lot. Went inside and found C already seated. I walked up just in time to give my drink order. Sat down and realized I’d left the gift card in the car, so I trooped back out to get it. When I returned the waiter was bringing our drinks, and he took our food order. After he left I realized we didn’t have chips and salsa.
 
A young lady server brought out the food quickly, which surprised me because the restaurant was so crowded. She asked if we needed anything else, and Ceil said “we don’t even have chips and salsa!” She apologized and quickly left to get the chips, so quick that we weren’t able to tell her we didn’t have eating utensils either. The young male waiter had come up right behind the server though, so he went off to get the utensils.
 
The chicken fajitas were great as usual, and the service after that very attentive. Later the waiter brought us a to go box, and mentioned that the manager had taken care of our tab. Turned out the young server was the manager! We told both the waiter and manager there really wasn’t any problem, and left a nice tip.
 
When we got home Ceil went off to meet Anna. I watched Parenthood and Pebble Beach. Later the red carpet and Oscars, since there wasn’t much else on TV. Fixed a quesadilla and played on my laptop.
 
The backpack I’d ordered on Amazon was delivered, but it was flimsier than I’d hoped. Thinking about sending it back and getting a leather satchel instead. My briefcase is old and needs to be replaced.  

Bought a pair of PF Flyers: white with green trim. Why I think I’ll like them after not liking Chuck Taylors or Jack Purcels is beyond me. But they were on sale for three bucks, so I couldn’t resist. At worst I sell them for ten. Still got my heart set on blowing my Amazon gift card on those ugly $80.00 Pumas.  
 
Today’s Denison: while Hollywood promotes inclusivity and diversity, they need to do a better job of it themselves.
 
GENE TENACE [SABR Bio] was the first player to homer in his first two World Series at-bats - 2 HR = G 1 1972 WS, providing all 3 of his team’s runs—all they needed. He was the bench coach for two World Series championship teams - bench coach for TOR’s Cito Gaston 1992-93. He twice led the league in bases-on-balls, once leading MLB - led w/BB in 1974 (110) & 1975 (125).

No comments: