Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Wasted Days & Wasted Nights

Not a good day. Spent all day yesterday cornered by a manager. Came back to my desk at 5 pm and he was there waiting to tell me he would be sending me an email. WHY NOT JUST SEND ME THE EMAIL? Now I’ll probably get in trouble for working too much overtime. Got asked to do two things that I had already done, but both times the next link in the chain dropped the ball. Plus the friendly office banter is starting to get a little on the abusive side, particulary on the political issues. Also about the coronavirus. Sometimes I don’t want to express my opinion for fear of being bullied. Perhaps I should contact Human Resources. Woe is me. At least there was a cookie to eat, and of leftover BBQ at lunchtime.
 
Tuesday: left work late due to they manager. Got to the gym late. Lifted weights. Home to fix cheese quesadillas. Parenthood and basketball. Flipped over to the start of the Tech game but there were two minutes left in the Duke@WF game. Deacons had three starters fouled out. Duke played the end perfectly to tie, just missing a long heave at the buzzer. Watched part of the first OT but finally switched the channel. Wouldn’t have watched that long had Duke not been wearing their glorious blue road unis. No black or grey or all white for a change.
 
Got a technology story for you. For some reason a few months ago I started getting copied on all these automatic emails. Sometimes hundreds a day. With help I got them automatically forwarded to where they need to go, and automatically sent to my deleted folder. At the end of every day I try to empty my deleted items folder, which on a busy day might be 200 emails. Sometimes then I see hundreds more that had gone straight to deleted. This morning I thought I was deleting over a thousand already deleted emails, when somehow I deleted 500 emails from my sent folder. I use my sent folder to store old emails that I need to keep. Not sure where these 500 emails went.
 
Haven’t gotten much done today except fixing a bunch of mess-ups.  
 
Grisham: The Guardian was good. So many people trash Grisham saying his new book isn’t the greatest book in the history of the world. Not sure where they get such huge expectations. I suppose they’re disappointed a lot.
 
Denison was good this morning, pointing out the differences between Christianity and other religions (following rules).
 
JIM BUNNING  [SABR Bio] was the first pitcher to throw a no-hitter in each league since Cy Young did it in 1904. Bunning had no-no’s in 1958 for DET & in 1964 for PHI. On a beautiful Father's Day, with his wife and oldest child in the grandstands, he pitched the game of his life. Bunning’s Father’s Day perfecto 21-June-1964. "What a day" Bunning recalled years later. "Just a perfect day."  He negotiated a $1,000 payment to appear on the nationally televised Ed Sullivan Show that same night and used the money to add a pool to his Kentucky home. After baseball he ran unsuccessfully for governor of his state. Lost the governor’s race in Kentucky in 1983 to Democratic nominee Martha Layne Collins, who became the first female governor of Kentucky.
 
Not the greatest post. Hopefully my eight readers will come back tomorrow.  

No comments: