Tuesday, February 18, 2020

For Shame


Shame: every day I try to read Uni Watch, the daily blog about uniforms. The blog founder is very adamant about having things his way, and if you don't like it you're welcome to go someplace else. He's not much younger than me, and has lived in NYC his whole life. I certainly don't agree with everything he says.
 
Today he departed from uniforms and wrote a long column about the Astros, and the lack of shame in society these days.  I read with interest. As I expected he did not mention how American society is pulling further and further away from God, which is certainly a root cause of the issue. One commenter did say how the issue relates to the Book of Matthew chapter 5, which his pastor had recently preached on.
 
Come to think of it, I think the Uni Watch guy (Paul)'s point was that the Astros shouldn't have cheated due to the shame they'd endure for being caught. Nothing about not cheating because Jesus said to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. Paul is Jewish, so cheating would violate the Ten Commandments. Nothing about the real basis for morals. Paul says shame "is how we self-police our society, how we temper our concern for ourselves with concern for how others see us…how we develop a conscience, how we develop social guardrails to help keep our behavior from careening off course." This may be true about shame, but shame is a shallow reason to behave correctly, to not sin. Later some commenters said this same thing.
 
Mark Twain said "Man is the only animal that blushes – or needs to." When they sinned, Adam & Eve were filled with shame, covering themselves and hiding from God.  
 

 
My sister tagged me with a thrift store article, suggesting a 2-1/2 hour route to visit eight thrift stores all around the metro area (not including browsing time). Not the best use of my time. A few stores I need to visit if I'm in the area, but not worth the drive just to thrift. Of the eight stores listed, I am familiar with several:
 
Park Ave Thrift 9740 Main Street Woodstock. Prices are cheap but this is where they send the junk that doesn't sell in their regular thrift stores. Much better: Park Ave at Bells Ferry & 92, Park Ave in East Cobb, or Park Ave in Duluth.
 
Furkids Holcomb Bridge: small & cramped. On my way home, but not worth the visit. Better: the Goodwill just across the river.
 
Last Chance 2935 N Decatur Road. I'll have to check it out next time we go to the Farmers Market.
 
Out of the Closet 1858 Cheshire Bridge. Near the Piedmont Road Goodwill. Next door to Atlanta HIV Testing.
 
Buffalo Exchange 1057 Ponce de Leon. Next door to the Majestic Diner.
 
Rag-o-rama 1111 Euclid Ave. In Little Five Points. Been there. Nice selection, but pricey.
 
Value Village 1899 Metropolitan Parkway SW. I frequent the VV near the Big Chicken, which is good. Eleven Atlanta locations? Shut up.
 
Clothes Less Traveled 459 Ga Hwy 74 Peachtree City. Too far away. Thrift stores are for finding needles in haystacks. Not worth a two hour drive out of my way through traffic.
 
 
A better plan: hit several thrift stores located in the same area. Near the Big Chicken there are several: Value Village, Atlanta Union Mission, Park Avenue, Goodwill, and 3 or 4 smaller shops. I usually skip smaller shops because there's less selection, and less of a chance to find something good. I don't want to spend a lot of time thrifting, breezing through a store in five minutes.  
 
In Roswell there is Value Village, Salvation Army, two Goodwills, and North Fulton Community Charities. Plus some smaller stores.
 
Woodstock: Goodwill, two Park Avenues, and the Lassiter Goodwill and Bells Ferry Goodwills aren't far away.
 
Duluth: Goodwill, Salvation Army, Park Avenue, and some smaller shops. The Johns Creek Goodwill is on the northern home. Lately though I've been driving straight to the gym after work. I sure don't need any more clothes, shoes, or bobbleheads anyway.
 
 
BBQ: Socks Love BBQ in Cumming is supposed to be good
 
Monday: Ceil's schools are off this week so she worked around the house. Also in the yard pruning plants. C went to the gym early to take a class. After work I changed clothes and went to the gym. Ran my four miles in a decent time. Stopped by the bank on the way home. Watched The Neighborhood and several episodes of Carol's Second Act. Then a little Parenthood.
 
On the way to work this AM I stopped by the Peachtree Corners post office but the machine wasn't working. So at lunch I went out in the rain to the Duluth PO and that machine was broken (as is the east Roswell PO). Long line in Duluth so I backtracked to Peachtree Corners, where there was a long line as well. Gave up and stopped by Taco Bell. A wasted lunch hour. At the Post Office I like to use the self service machine, which weighs your box and prints out the postage sticker. More and more of them these days are broken. Kinda like the McFlurry machine at McDonalds. Need to print out my own postage at home, but that's too high-tech for me.    
 
GEORGE SISLER  [SABR Bio] is the only player to win an MVP playing for the St. Luis Browns - 1922 MVP. The Browns existed for just over 50 years but Sisler was their only MVP. Sisler's record of 257 H stood for more than 80 years until Ichiro Suzuki stroked 262 in 2004. Sisler hit .420 in in his MVP season of 1922. No first baseman has ever had a higher season batting average.

No comments: