Thursday, February 06, 2020

You Know You're an Atlantan When

Atlanta Magazine posted an article "You Know You're an Atlantan When" that's pretty much spot on. Some newcomers took offense, but that's how you know they haven't been around long. Think they know everything.
 
You know Virginia-Highland doesn't end with an S. But it's okay to add an S to Johnson Ferry.
 
It's 60 degrees outside. In March you're wearing shorts & sandals. In October you're bundled up in a sweater.
 
You refuse to drink Pepsi.
You don't pronounce the second t in Atlanta.
Someone says "Hotlanta," and you get pissed.
You know the "King of Pops" is not Michael Jackson.
You're tall, and they still call you shawty.
You don't get alarmed when you hear the terms smothered, covered, chunked, diced, and capped.
You realize "How bout them Dawgs" is not a question.
You always refer to Ponce de Leon Avenue as "Ponce." (not me).
You consider turn signals to be a sign of weakness (not me).
If the bread aisle is empty, you check the weather forecast.
You know the difference between the "inner" and the "outer" Perimeter. Also known as the Atlanta Autobahn.
You know at least five people trapped in their cars overnight from that ice storm. ME: want to hear my story?
Your sports teams keep finding new ways to lose. ME: you call the Braves "America's Team" and "Atlanta Fulton County Stadium" was simply known as "Atlanta Stadium" when it was first built.
You always expect to see a wreck when you round the Grady Curve (plus, you know where that is). ME: who besides me knew that right by the Grady Curve is a high school baseball field and Georgia State's football complex? Photo above.
 
Anna has an office with a window.
Sounds like those Geek Squad guys are pretty good. I could never work for them. My last two mouse & keyboards have been inherited from bosses who had upgraded their set. This goes back over ten years. The letters on my current keyboard are rubbing off. The A is completely gone and the S D W and E are almost all gone.  
 
Another good Denison column. Lots of political decisiveness on social media from people I know. Chad shared yesterday's Denison column on social media. Six shared it, 51 liked it, and it got 25 comments, mostly positive. I really wasn't able to get to know Denison when he was here. Can't remember if I had chances to or not.
 
Speaking of high-tech things, my wireless earphones delivered. Much more complicated than I thought. I charged them up but have to figure out how to sync to my phone and turn on and off. Will get M to help me. Still not sure they will stay in my ears.

Been looking for a nice backpack to replace my old briefcase. Couldn't find a nice leather one to fit my needs, so last night I ordered one off Amazon, similar to the ones I see in my office, but Braves (above). Hope it has enough pockets. Then this morning I stumbled across one "made from the same material as actual footballs." My concern is that some actual footballs are made of cheap plastic. Sure enough one reviewer said the material was cheap. Everything else about the backpack was great: three big pockets, etc. But I guess I'll stick to the one already ordered.

Wednesday: Left work after five and headed to the gym. Upped my pace, running one minute then walking one and a half. Went three miles in record pace, each mile faster than the previous one: 12:43 12:23 12:21. Am I boring you yet?
 
Ceil cooked Mexican ground beef and rice with tossed salad. Watched Chicago Med and Parenthood.    
 
Wise words from Mad Dog:
 
RICK DEMPSEY [SABR Bio] is the oldest person ever to play for the Baltimore Orioles - last game = 27-Sep-1992 (43 yrs+014 days). He caught major league games in four consecutive decades. Only a small handful of other catchers in MLB history can make that claim - played 1969-1991. Carlton Fisk (1969-93) & Tim McCarver (1959-80), Deacon McGuire (1884-1912), Jack O'Connor (1887-1910) & Jack Ryan (1889‑1913) are the other 4‑decade Cs. His Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver wrote of the player, "He's the best throwing catcher I've ever had.  He gets rid of the ball so quick and he's accurate … also amazing on pickoffs. … I've never seen anybody throw better." His nephew played in the majors, debuting three years after this guy's retirement. The nephew played long enough to qualify for an MLB pension, playing for nine teams nephew = Gregg Zaun played 16 yrs.

No comments: