Monday, April 10, 2023

Have Mercy

Sunday we met A&C at Passion Cumberland. Early in his message Louie was talking about us all having to follow rules. Said if you go to the Masters, you have to do things the way the Augusta National says. No running. Dress appropriately. No coolers, cameras, or phones. Louie elaborated, as only Louie can do.

Later in his sermon Louie mentioned the Masters again, sharing about riding down Magnolia Lane with a past champion (Oosthuizen) and entering through the clubhouse and out to the first tee.

As Oosthuizen teed off, Louie's wife Shelley pulled out her phone to take a picture. Louie stiffened. He looked over his shoulder - an Augusta National member was right next to him, and he didn't look happy. Louie said he would've hated it if Shelley had gotten kicked out and would've had to wait until 7:30 pm for Louie to finish watching golf.

Louie elbowed Shelley, pointing to the official - who happened to be someone the Giglio's had eaten dinner with a few weeks earlier. The official whispered "Put away your phone". She did, and they got to stay.

Louie's point: there are rules, but God is merciful.

After eating at Little Rey C and I went home and crashed on the couch to watch the Masters. We both took naps. Last year Tiger was playing the PGA Championship with a screw sticking out of his leg.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/jason-day-reveals-gruesome-reason-for-tiger-woods-pga-championship-withdrawal/ar-AA19F5MM?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=87e8504612d94a7cb4820e18a715ad79&ei=21

Work was quiet on Good Friday, so they closed down the office at 3:30. I was pretty well caught up and worn out from the week, so I headed out as well. Took the northern route home and stopped by three thrift stores and RaceTrac. Got home and watched trees falling at the Masters.

Couldn't believe the rain held off Saturday morning, allowing me to get in nine holes of golf. With such a threatening forecast I would've slept in, but after checking radar I knew my playing partner would be chomping at the bit.

1. Pretty good drive. Five iron approach was low and short of green. Bad chip good chip. Good lag. "Bogey".

2. Hybrid felt good but I never found it. Seemed left. I took a drop and made a good chip. Two putt. "Bogey". I did find a Callaway over on the right fringe.

3. I hit a nice 6 iron, with a little bit of a draw. Hit it so well that I may have overclubbed. The ball bounced off the back left of the green. Didn't find that ball but found another. Decent chip up the hill that rolled off the other side of the green. Two fair chips back. Two putt. "Double".

4. Flubbed a 6 iron off the tee, but got a good roll. Good chip. Good putt on the impossible green. Bogey.

5. Hit a great hybrid. Started right (where I had aimed) that drew back onto the green, 23 feet past the hole (I stepped it off). Good putt to a foot, and settled for par.

6. Drilled my drive over the hill where my tee shots usually settle, past the big oak to the right. One of my best drives ever on this hole. As I was picking up my tee, my playing partner hit his tee shot from the back tee. I was right in the line of fire. Not sure what he was thinking. I survived. My second shot was a good 5 iron, that might've been slowed down by a tree branch. First chip went right, but rolled right of the green. Hit a great mulligan onto the green. Two putt for "bogey ".

7. Another good drive, that drifted right just about all the way up the hill to the furthest tree lining the fairway. Started raining as we teed off, but it quickly slacked off by the time we hit our second shots. Pulled my 5 iron left, then flubbed my mulligan. Hit a great 6 iron approach, that stayed left into the trees to the left of the green. Skidded a 9 iron that rolled off the back of the green. Skidded my mulligan to the fringe. A good lag putt, but needed two more. "Triple".

8. Another good drive. For fun I hit three approach shots with my 8 iron: one skidded right, one short of the green, and the third that bounced off the back of the green into the creek. Good chip, but a three putt. "Double ".

9. Teed up my ball too high, and popped up my tee shot. Pulled my 5 iron left. Hit a good chip past the green. Good chip and putt back close on the tough sloping green. "Double".

Finished about 9:10, mostly dry. By 9:30 it was pouring down rain, on my drive home. Turned on the Masters and worked around the downstairs, folding clothes and washing dishes and stuff. Fixed ground turkey quesadillas for lunch. Took a nap. More Masters.

Ran 3 miles at the gym this morning. Been super busy at work. Small group tonight. 

ALEX RODRIGUEZ [SABR Bio] is the only player to win AL MVP playing for a last-place team. In 2003 the Rangers finished last with a record of 71-91. A-Rod won the AL MVP with 47 HR and a WAR of 8.4. For three different teams, he had seasons of 125 runs and 125 RBI. He did the 125/125 combo for Seattle in 2000, Texas in 2001 & 2002, and for the Yankees in 2007. On 05-Jun-1997 in Detroit, A-Rod won Pamela Altazan $1,000,000 when her name was drawn in a radio contest for the unlikely event that a Mariner player would hit for the cycle.

No comments: