Saturday, April 22, 2023

R.I.P. Bob Berry

As a kid my favorite Falcon was QB Bob Berry, who passed away this week at the age of 81. I had the chance to meet Berry at a fan day back in the early 70's. At 5’11” Berry was shorter than most NFL QB’s, even back in the 60’s. Berry was usually found among the leaders in completion percentage.

When Norm Van Brocklin was hired as head coach by the Falcons, he brought Berry over from Van Brocklin’s former team, the Vikings. Berry probably held a soft spot in his crusty heart for Berry, who played at The Dutchman’s alma mater, Oregon.

In 1969 Van Brocklin was named coach of the NFC Pro Bowl team, so he loaded his roster with Falcons, including MLB Tommy Nobis, DE’s John Zook and Claude Humphrey, OLB Greg Brezina, CB Ken Reeves, TE Jim Mitchell, and Berry.

Berry was known for his comically large double bar face mask, which I loved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-pro-bowl-quarterback-has-died/ar-AA1a809y?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=88708404b18843a3a8e62df35d51aba6&ei=11

In my ongoing quest to own as much Braves gear as possible, today at the thrift store I unearthed an official optic yellow Braves parking polo, made from recycled plastic bottles. Only $2.50. Joins the five other Braves polos in my collection: Operations, Maintenance, red Usher, red Retail, and grey BravesVisiion.  Also at least two other Braves polos. Don’t get me started on the t-shirts. I did pass on a XXL Mitchell & Ness Braves heavy t-shirt, that would’ve cost twelve bucks.

Guess now I can park wherever I want. Or at least in the employee lot.

Sunday we were cleaning up after the wedding shower, taking things from the restaurant to the cars. I helped Phil move this large container, a two man job it was so big. I asked him what it was. Kinda of like a huge cube shaped cooler, but to keep thing square. Three feet by 3 feet at least. I told Phil we needed this big cube at the beach to hold all the hot dogs we were going to carry out there to eat every day. Phil smiled, saying he couldn’t believe we hadn’t started the hot dog tradition 25 years ago. Last year Phil, Rusty, and I would talk all morning in anticipation of eating the dogs, all while making plans for an even bigger even the next day.

Question of the day: best sidekick?: Robin, Gilligan, Scottie Pippen, Tonto, Barney Rubble, Barney Fife, Tattoo. Who am I missing? My contribution: Trapper John McIntyre and Richie Cunningham's Potsie Weber.

Crazy how memory works. I will think about something then think about how many years ago it was. But I rarely think about what date is today, then remember what happened on that day.

A rare sighting by the paparazzi of Bridget Fonda, who retired from acting 20 years ago after being injured in an automobile accident.

https://pagesix.com/2023/04/19/see-bridget-fonda-in-rare-sighting-after-gushing-about-civilian-life/ 

NOLAN RYAN  [SABR Bio] holds the career record for the fewest hits allowed per nine innings pitched. His 6.5553 hits per nine innings leads the field. He also walked more batters than anyone else. Ryan’s career total of 2,795 is so far ahead that the pitcher in second place, Steve Carlton, walked almost a thousand fewer, 1,833, in a similar number of innings pitched.  Ryan threw many more wild pitches, racking up 277 WPs. The leader among active pitchers, Zack Greinke, has 99 after a career of 19+ seasons.

Anna & Caleb went to tonight's Braves game.

No comments: