Monday, April 17, 2023

Searching for Larry Doby

When we go to Jefferson we pass through the outskirts of Camden SC, which happens to be the birthplace of Larry Doby – who broke the color barrier in the American League. The town named their athletic fields after the hall of famer, and from time to time there's an exhibit. I've never had time to make a pilgrimage until this past Saturday.

Outside the Camden Archives stands a statue of Doby. I was able to stop by while running errands. Camden is about 35 miles south of Jefferson.

Saturday just happened to be Jackie Robinson Day in MLB, when all major and minor league players wear Robinson's number 42.

This past Monday I went to work with two projects to get done, and I still haven't finished the first one. But late Thursday I decided to take off and go to SC. Meant I wouldn't be able to work on our taxes, cut the grass, organize my files, clean up the house, post items for sale, or play golf.

Friday: got up and started getting ready for the trip. Skipped the gym and golf. I kept doing things to get ready, but C kept puttering around and wasn't ready to leave until after 1 pm. By the time we got on the highway, traffic was bad. Stopped in Augusta for Starbucks and gas. Then a wreck rerouted us north at Columbia - right into a heavy rain. Didn't arrive until almost 7:30. Picked up supper at the Golden Nugget.

Saturday: on the go all day. Tried to sleep until nine. No food at C's parent's house. I drove the 8 miles to Pageland for (1) grocery store (2) gas (3) Dollar Tree (4) McDonalds for C's Egg McMuffin.

Back to Jefferson to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then I drove 30 minutes to Camden / Lugoff.  (1) Tracked down the statue of Larry Doby, then (2) Goodwill, (3) Hobby Lobby, (4) WalMart, and (5) Wendy's. Then 30 min back to Jefferson.

Took Winnie outside, then drove C down to visit Uncle Lennie and Aunt Corrine. Then back to shower. Got to see a little of the Heritage tourney.

Rode with C's brother & sister in law 30 minutes to Hartsville to eat at Shug's Steakhouse, where their daughter Jordan is a waitress. Ate with C's cousin Phil & wife Teresa, and their cousin Tommy and his wife. Also Jordan's fiancé Ted. A super fun time. I had an okay burger and baked potato. C had steak. Lots on the menu looked good.

When I got home I watched the second half of Kings / Warriors. I was pulling for Sacramento. The game was so close that it was hard to turn off. I missed the Grizz yesterday. Really want them to beat the Lakers.

Slept late again Sunday. C wanted McDonalds. So I drove to Pageland. Got me Taco Bell for lunch. C went off to get ready for the shower. I washed the sheets, packed, and was busy with other stuff. At 2:45 I drove the 30 miles / 30 minutes east to Hartsville for the wedding shower. Visited for 45 min then drove back to Jefferson to finish packing and get Winnie. Was too hot for her to stay in the car. Then drove back to Hartsville to get C, stopping for gas along the way. Was after 6 pm before we left for home. Didn't stop. Would have but the Starbucks in Augusta was closed.

I was going to take off today but C had wanted me to drive back last night so she could still keep Shivonne today – so I played 16 holes of golf this morning. Played the first nine with the professor. There was a slow foursome taking their time on the first fairway, so I hoofed it over and teed off on the third hole. Could've looped around and played 7 and 8 again, but didn't.

Had plenty to do today. Zoom call at 1 pm. Small group after work. Need to mail off my taxes. Also some work as well.

AL KALINE [SABR Bio] = alkaline = base. Kaline's 3,007 base hits, 1,277 walks, 55 HBPs & 173 reached on errors. After finishing third in rookie of the year voting in 1954, Kaline finished a close second in 1955 AL MVP voting and 3rd in 1956. No other American League outfielder has won more Gold Gloves, with ten. He was not equaled until 1999 when Ken Griffey, Jr. won his tenth, all with Seattle. Ichiro Suzuki joined them in 2010.

No comments: