Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Life's Detours

I tell myself this whole blog thing is an endeavor to develop my writing skills, enhance my creativity, create a family record, and serve as an outlet to determine and express my thoughts and feelings. That, and to entertain Don Head. I continually amaze myself with the titles I come up with for these posts. I try not to spend much time thinking up titles, but somehow I think one up by the time I’m ready to start typing. As always, thanks for reading.

When we stopped in Augusta on Sunday I made another good move to avoid traffic. I made a right off the exit ramp, then a right into the BP for gas. Traffic has backed up on the street adjacent to the BP, so instead of making two lefts I made a right onto the access road, drove down the the RiverWatch Parkway, made another right, then right onto the road leading back up to Washington Road. Drove across Washington, and then yet another right into the Publix. A longer route, but quicker and less traffic. Hardly had to stop. Right turns are so much safer than lefts.  

Crazy coworker Roger was driving home and got rear ended as he exited 400. A speeding car smashed into him, then sped off. Roger hurt his neck and knee. Didn’t matter how careful he was.

Monday: worked until 6 pm. Ceil had a rough day after being in SC this weekend, and Okie being sick. She had a conference call from 630-730 so I picked her up a chicken sandwich from Moxie Burger.

On the way home I was about to make a left onto Azalia down at the river, but noticed that it was uncharacteristically backed up. I quickly made a right and avoided the jam, then discovered a back way to Moxie from Oxbo that didn’t involve making two left turns on crowded streets.

I fixed myself quesadillas using Ceil’s leftovers from Willy’s. Watched Jeopardy, Young Sheldon, and The Voice. Went to bed at 930.

Lifted weights at the gym Tuesday morning. Had to put on my old sneakers to walk over to the other plant, which took an hour. Then a conference call. Been working on the same PO all afternoon. Fun.

Augusta National has expanded all the way to the Publix. When I walked the dogs I almost took them over there to walk on the nice green grass, but I would’ve had to cross a busy 4 lane with 2 dogs on a leash.  

Former co-worker Jim Davis passed away on Sunday. He was 77. Retired at 64. Jim published our company magazine. I was his cub reporter for my office, and was one of his favorites. When I carried the Olympic torch in 1996 up in Gary Indiana, Jim enlisted a photographer from our office in Chicago to take pictures, which I still have. Jim put me on the cover of our magazine. He also arranged for me to take a tour of our Chicago warehouse, which was huge. I saw Jim last year at the retiree luncheon. Jim ran a website about Southern hockey: https://www.facebook.com/HockeyYall/

https://georgiacremation.com/obituary/james-william-davis/

“Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving” (Ephesians 5:4).

RUBE WADDELL [SABR Bio] his record of 349 strikeouts in 1904 was the major league record until broken by Sandy Koufax’ 382 in 1965. It wasn’t until Nolan Ryan’s 383 in 1973 that Waddell’s record fell. Rube was the first pitcher to lead his league in strikeouts for six consecutive seasons: in 1902, pitching for PHA, with 210. then led the majors for the next five straight years w/302, 349, 287, 196, 232. He threw the first Immaculate Inning ever recorded in the American Leagued. It was also the first in the Modern Era. On 01-Jul-902 in the 3rd inning, Waddell fanned Billy Gilbert, Harry Howell & Jim Cronin of the Baltimore Orioles. He threw only 9 pitches, all strikes.

No comments: