Thursday, March 14, 2024

My "Truth"

Tuesday night on The Voice, Dan and Shane called their team diverse. Perhaps diverse genres. Their team is mostly men with a few women. But all white. Five minutes later, Reba called her team diverse. She was more accurate. The exchange got me thinking.

I am diverse, and other lies I present to the world as “my truth”: I love everyone. I’m okay with people being lazy not doing their job and expecting me to do their job for them. I am not old fashioned. I’m a good husband and father. I’m good at my job. I dress fashionably. The jokes I tell are funny. I am good looking. I is a good writer.

Would be good to use some of these facts the next time I play “Two facts One Lie”. I’m a strong Christian. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am righteous. I pray without ceasing.

Not sure if I said, but I do know my sense of humor is a little off kilter. Many may not think I am funny, but I just enjoy thinking up the joke and telling it. The best jokes have an unexpected / unpredictable punch line. Oftentimes a joke is even funnier if it falls flat, when no one gets it. Makes me laugh inside all the more.

How do you define love? Reminds me of the St Jude’s Hospital commercial with the little kids trying to say what love is. One replies “puppies!”

DENISON: French philosopher Jacques Ellul wrote a book 70 years ago that could have been published yesterday. Titled The Technological Society, it is considered one of the most important works of the second half of the 20th century. Ellul explains our technologically obsessed civilization has become “committed to a continually improved means to carelessly examined ends.” Modern society has commodified not just things but people. Everything—and everyone—is now a means to our personal ends”. Denison’s point: our transactional culture tempts us to do the same with Lord Jesus.

NASA is sending a poem to Jupiter’s moon Europa (denisonforum.org) 

Today is 3/14, also known as Pi Day. An oldie but a goodie:

Tuesday: worked past 630. Ceil had taken Anna’s wedding dress down to Sig Samuel’s cleaners on Monroe, next to Grady Stadium. I got home just before she did. Leftovers for supper.

Wednesday: lifted weights at the gym this morning.

Fitness after 40: lift weights, do cardio, and stretch. I need to get better on the stretching department.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.boxrox.com/unlock-fitness-after-40-the-3-essential-exercises-every-man-needs/__;!!AE29DT8V!Q0kVJyOO5KcIcsffh3rhYPhfLhEjh1caOrIDsfm0x7_UCzQOoauHpM3KtuqdVSRu6nhr7pstuwSNISHc5MU$

NELLIE FOX [SABR Biostrikeout rate is 5th best all-time, behind Joe Sewell and Willie Keeler, but ranking ahead of Tony Gwynn, Charlie Gehringer, and Joe DiMaggio. The year Fox won MVP, Luis Aparicio was second in the 1959 AL MVP voting and the only other player receiving first-place votes. Hall of famer Early Wynn was third; CF Jim Landis 7th; catcher Sherm Lollar 9th; pitcher Bob Shaw tied for 20th; and pitcher  Gerry Staley was the last on the list at 28th. Paul Richards, Fox’s manager from 1951-54, decided to rest Fox for a couple of days, but soon lamented his decision, saying, “I took it for a couple of days. Then I had to put him back in the lineup. On the bench, he was driving me crazy.” In postseason play, it was a fortified wine from southern Spain that took the go out of his team’s “Go-go”. Dodger Pitcher Larry Sherry was the 1959 World Series MVP, with two wins and two saves against the White Sox. Sherry is a sweet Spanish wine enjoyed by many. That White Sox team was dubbed the “Go go Sox” & had convincingly won the AL pennant.

No comments: