Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Braves, Etc.

See the game Monday night? When Chipper ran home on the grounder to second, was it a 1st& 3rd situation, or 2nd & 3rd? I thought it was 1st & 3rd, and he ran to prevent an inning-ending double play. Another guy said Chipper ran after the runner on second took off for third.

Bugs me how “fans” say we need to pull off a trade to keep up with the Phillies, then complain about it when a trade is made. I was agreeing with Beau Bock, who was saying the Braves (he said Bobby) don’t value non-sluggers like Blanco. But Wren, JS, etc are often right when trading a player…they rarely turn into stars (Marte/Salty)…so perhaps Blanco’s 2010 MLB average won’t be repeated.

Glaus is obviously hurting, and should be commended for playing with pain, but it seems like he should be sitting more…especially while he is cold. Conrad’s average is low, but he still seems to produce as much as Chipper. Melky’s play in CF Saturday reminded me of the days win the Braves were losing a hundred games every year.

Bobby loves the lefty/righty platoon so, it’s tough to keep the Melkys out of the lineup. Players love it because more of them stay fresh. Nice SI article on Cox, though the abuse part could’ve been left out. Several good articles lately, like the one on Stan Musial, whom I never knew much about.

Just started a fictional book, about what might’ve happened if Lindbergh had been drafted by a deadlocked Republican convention in 1940, and defeated Roosevelt with 57% of the vote (& carried 46 states, narrowly missing out on NY and Maryland). Lindbergh barnstormed around the country in a plane, visiting every state during the campaign. That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Didn’t do much this weekend: Trader Joes/Publix/Target with Ceil Friday night, housework Saturday, and emissions on Sunday. Saw/heard most of all three Braves games. Checked out three books at the library, which will cut into my Braves pregame listening.

Matthew spent Saturday at the Coleys, where they filmed another “Ranger Todd” video. Matthew played the lion…it will be on YouTube soon. The videos are used at their church. Susan was at her high school reunion.

Will doesn’t want to try out for a summer team. He wants to wait and have someone ask him to play. I disagree…not that many people know who he is. Chances are, he’d get on a crummy team. When I talk to him about it, he gets mad.

No car is in the plan so far, but a clunker might not be a bad idea. When school starts (Aug 23?) the plan is for Will to drive to Living Science Mondays and Thursdays, 14 miles away in east Woodstock. That way Ceil can stay home all day, saving her 2-4 hours each day.

He drove my 2005 Civic to Cartersville last weekend, and usually drives Ceil’s 2002 minivan. But if he has a wreck (my worry), one of us will be in trouble. Maybe I need to look at a cheap clunker for him. But when school starts, he won’t be hanging out with friends as much.

Guess that Moe’s Customer Day is just for the JF Moes. I checked the one here near work, and they’re business as usual. Matthew is the Moes lover, and he’s going to youth group tonight.

Ceil had a bad experience at that Moes…I wasn’t there. She now prefers Willys. Everyone likes Chipotle but me…I really don’t like those spices. I like Willys ok, just not as good as Moes.

No comments: