Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More Old School

I am technologically weak, especially next to most people my age. At church many people have the Bible on their iPhones. Over a year ago Andy Stanley said that 95% of the books he reads, are read on the Kindle. I had never heard of one.

Still do the scrapbook calendar, with scissors and tape. Ceil has started making one, and Anna’s not far behind. A and M are artistic. A is taking up art classes to replace ballet. M still plays with Legos, and draws.

As I recall, it was when we went to NYC several years ago when I first read about blogging. This one is not at all fancy. All I post are edited versions of these emails, plus Will’s game recaps, and a few pictures. Since it goes back several years, I’m trying to keep it up, and not let Facebook replace it. Lang reads it from time to time, as do my mom, sister, one friend, and sometimes Ceil. Missy Simms used to read it, when she was blogging in Saipan. Every now and then a friend will say they stumble across it, but that’s about it for readers. Hardly anyone ever comments. Invariably my sister will mis-quote something I write, or take it out of context, creating a family stir. You can Google http://www.sacrificefly@blogspot.com/ …it’s something like that.

People at work hardly read emails any more, especially since they started getting the emails on their cell phones. I can write a beautiful email with all the details of a problem, but it does no good. Here at work managers get 100 - 200 emails a day, or more. I try to process every email not long after it comes in, and keep my inbox clean. When I returned from vacation yesterday I had over 140 new emails. Right now I have seven, and I’m going to take care of three of those shortly.

My dad and father-in-law forward “joke” emails, but not as many as they used to. I don’t have time to read 99% of them. Some people at work pass them along. My mom tries to send helpful, detailed emails about various topics related to our family, but we don’t have time to read the information we WANT to read, from the sources we choose…much less those someone sends us from a random source.

No comments: