Thursday, August 26, 2010

Midtown Adventure

Had a little adventure last night, taking Will and Holt down to see “friend” Mary-Clayton sing in The Sound of Music at the Fox.
I drove home and changed, but still had to wait for Will to get ready. After all that “work” I thought he still looked thrown away, but didn’t say anything. We had to meet Holt at the I-85 Chamblee Tucker exit, and I knew traffic on 285 east would be bad. We did arrive five minutes early, but Holt left home without the tickets and had to turn around. We didn’t leave until 7:25, but made good time. I dropped them off at 7:45.
I had decided to hang around downtown instead of making the long trek home and back. I had plenty of things I could do, but was stressed from the rushed trip. Didn’t feel like eating at the Varsity, or adventuring to The Vortex in Little Five Points. Settled for the Spring Street Arby’s. While there I updated my Facebook status, noting the Arby’s was where I ate as a freshman 33 years ago. Later in the evening I discovered several of my old Tech buddies had come out of the woodwork to comment.
Driving up a deserted block of West Peachtree, I turned at a corner where two “ladies of the evening” stood. The blonde glanced at me in my Civic, but I don’t think SHE was tempted (not that I was, either).
Cruised around the Tech campus, which has changed a LOT since I was there. When I tried to drive past the stadium up The Hill, I discovered the road is now pedestrian only. Looking around, I had missed the “Not a through street” sign. All the fraternities and sororities were having rush parties, with scored of nicely dressed students hanging around. Drove by a lighted field full of students, but convinced myself that I hadn’t recovered enough from my headaches to exercise. Instead I found a spot to finish Will’s summer baseball statistics.
Later I drove back and parked at West Peachtree and Ponce, near where the boys would meet Mary Clayton. It was too hot to sit in the car, so I wound up standing near the corner, where I could monitor both my car and patrons exiting the Fox. I had arrived too early, and had to wait 30-45 minutes. I paced about, using my cell phone for entertainment. A few street people wanted to chat, but I tried to stay to myself.
A lady in sweats was approaching just as I saw the show had let out. Just before starting up the hill to the Fox, I decided to check my car one last time. This allowing the woman to pass. “Great” I thought. “She’s going to think I looped around just to follow her. She had looked at me once or twice, but I tried not to make eye contact. When I stopped at the actor’s entrance, I noticed her there as well. She was really going to think I was weird. Then just when Will and Holt walked up, the lady walked up to us. It was Mary Clayton’s mom!
Mrs. Gilbert suggested we get a shake, so we went to the Varsity. Mom and MC sat down first, together on one bench. Will sat next to MC, leaving the other side for Holt and me. Afterwards I took Holt back, then didn’t get home until 12:30 am. Another excuse not to wake up and exercise.
How to spot Mary-Clayton:
1. She wears a red dress in the party scene. Her hair is short and black.
2. In the wedding scene she is the one your far right.
3. She’s the tallest of the “young” nuns. The nuns wear a lot of clothes, so pretty much all you see is her face. She does have thick, dark eyelashes and a darker, olive complexion. Though not at all fat, she isn’t skinny, either.
The Gilbert family is easy to like, except for their Cartersville address. I hung out with Doctor Tom on the Zoo Trip a few years ago. He grew up in Sandy Springs and went to Furman. His parents (one of whom went to North Fulton) were charter members of Johnson Ferry. I had only met his wife a few times, which is my excuse for not recognizing her. College sophomore Anna is a tall dancer. Junior Mary Clayton ever met a stranger, and is full of personality. Twelve year old Tom is in Anna’s class. An athlete who looks up to Will, Tom just missed playing the younger Von Trapp son at the Fox. He was the one who called to razz Will at 11:30 pm, when Tech beat Clemson in the ACC Championship.
On the way to meet Holt we listened to the Braves terrible loss. Hopefully they can use the loss as a springboard for a winning streak.
Today a lady in Accounting caused a problem I’ve having to work through. Made me think of the song “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?”

No comments: