Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Late Adopter

Driving to work yesterday morning I saw a dad videotaping his kid getting on the bus. We are certainly fortunate to be able to educate our kids the way we do. Years ago I never would’ve figured we would be sending our kids to these schools, since both Ceil and I had gone to public schools. But it’s certainly a different world we live in these days.

I am a slow adopter to new technology. It took us a long time to get a computer and internet, now I spend too much time on it. Ceil is terrible about checking and responding to emails, and keeping up with a cell phone. I wasn’t great on the cell phone until I got a new phone a few months ago. Now I finally have all my contacts entered in, learned how to text, and check internet and email on the phone. A few weeks ago I set up Twitter on my phone to gets Braves updates, and tweets from Lang and a few others.

I like Excel, the spreadsheet, saved on the computer instead of on paper. It’s like Chinese at first, but once you get the hang of it you love it. That’s how I keep up with our checkbook, and Will’s baseball stats.

Like Claire, I’ve gotten into Facebook. Even if you have few contemporaries on Facebook, you can keep up and see the photos people post. I “joined” to look at photos from a high school reunion that I missed, then “friended” Will, several of his buddies, their parents, and then others from SPdL, Tech, and high school. Now I can check Facebook for 5 minutes every day or two, to keep up to date. I’m even friends with John Condra.

Good vacation to Florida, left Sunday and got back late Friday. Didn’t do much over the weekend, except go to the Voyles wedding late Saturday afternoon. Bill and Sarah Reed sat in front of us, next to Jim Ewing. Talked to Bill for a long time, standing in line to greet the bride and groom.

Will rode home from Florida Sunday with the Hurts, and went immediately to baseball practice last night. His good friend Mary Clayton is in the off-Broadway production of The Sound of Music, that will be at the Fox this fall. Sounds like the Murphy’s might be attending.

School starts up this week for our three. My desk doesn’t seem to be in too bad shape.

Ceil enjoyed the first Nanny McPhee, so I’m sure we’ll be going to the second one. Heard that “Despicable Me” is also good.

Trying to get back on the diet and exercise program, since many of my pants don’t fit, and I’ve lost energy. My coworker Brad is really into it lately, so I’m using him as my motivation. It’s tough getting out of bed early, but I’m waking up when I need to get up anyway.

Our cars are always getting dinged in our garage by bikes and scooters.

Without Braves TV last week, we were keeping up on the computer. Watched a few Rays/Rangers games. Watched a good chunk of the game Monday night, hated that they lost. Don’t like Hudson’s beard, but perhaps it’s a team thing. Saw Hanson sitting alone in the dugout, which I thought was interesting. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything. The Derrick Lee trade seemed to come up all of a sudden, though the Wren back-story did come out about looking for a third-baseman. Fun game to watch Sunday, with all the Piniella story.

No comments: