Monday, August 15, 2011

Brave Twin Burritos

Claire somehow posted her big news on Facebook around 3:30 am. I didn’t miss it by much…I stayed up past 2 am working on a recap of the Braves game while it was fresh in my mind.

Saturday I came downstairs earlier than normal, and posted the recap on line. That’s when I saw Claire’s announcement. I jokingly congratulated Anna’s friend Caroline for having “our niece” named after her. She hadn’t heard the news yet (I forgot to tell everyone at the hospital about this). Later in the day 16 year-old Hannah sent me another update.

Thanks to Constanza’s home run Friday night during “Moe’s Home Run Inning” (caught by Will’s friend Kevin’s dad), the Murphys all ate free burritos at Moe’s Saturday night. Afterward we headed over to Northside. We were in the elevator riding upstairs when the door opened…Claire, Andrew, Edie, the Johnsons, and the twins were coming on board. A really fun visit, but I was starting to feel worn out from my lack of sleep.

At the Braves game Friday night Matthew announced that he wanted to play baseball this fall. After the game I learned that tryouts were Saturday morning. Will had practice as well. We made it just in time. Amazingly, Matthew hit every ball pitched to him. He didn’t do as good on the fielding, but they didn’t tell him where to stand, and he had this huge glove. Sunday afternoon Will and I took him out to practice. His reflexes are good, and he knows how to get his bat on the ball. Should be interesting.

Heard Zambrano had a smile on his face, in the dugout after he’d been tossed. Looked like a few Cubs came out on the warning track, just outside the dugout…probably only after the Braves came out into the foul territory. Also, a few pitchers came out from both bullpens, but stopped just a few steps out of the gate. The Cubs manager said Zambrano embarrassed the organization on Bobby Cox night.

Read an OLD Sports Illustrated article about the Yankees new manager Joe Giraldi. He said he was modeling his managerial career on Tony LaRussa.

Started looking hard for Will a car. The good ones go fast! Will and Joel went out for Kara’s last night at home…she headed off to UAB.

Veggie Tales. High quality biblical themed stories, sometimes based on entertaining old movies or TV shows. Great original songs. Matthew still hoards them.

I’ve read a few Grisham books, and plan on reading them all. Last night I started the last Rosenberg book in his first series…Dead Heat. The main character is like a Christian Jack Ryan, the Tom Clancy character. Speaking of Jack Ryan, I hadn’t realized there were more books featuring him that I haven’t written. I’ll put those on my list as well.

At work we celebrated August birthdays. One month a year everyone has to bring goodies. One girl made a fruit pizza, another lady a hummingbird cake. Ceil made brownies and a monkey bread cake. A salesman brought cathead biscuits from Martins.

Played Augusta National again on the Wii. Toward the end I finally started getting the hang of it.

No comments: