Monday, August 22, 2011

Will's First Car

Friday was almost as busy as my Thursday. Will had a Wilson baseball glove he didn’t like, and the manager of Play It Again Sports gave me big money for it. I was going to buy an old Mizuno first-baseman’s mitt, but instead opted for a NICE Rawlings fastback mitt.

Ceil took Anna to the movies at NP (with Caroline Hargreaves, etc). I took M to practice baseball. Then Ceil went to pick up Will, and I went to NP to get Anna.

Woke up early Saturday and started trolling for cars. Drove to downtown Marietta to look at one, then cruised south on Cobb Parkway to Windy Hill. Stopped at Fuddruckers for a burger…my favorite. Went home and found two more cars to look at. The first was back in downtown Marietta. Nothing great. Stopped at Quicktrip for a 32 oz Diet Mountain Dew.

Next stop was way over in Johns Creek, near Bonefish. I agonized, but finally bought the white 1998 Accord. Talked the owner down $300.00, justifying several of the car’s defects. Lots of miles on it, but after researching all the records, it appears that three owners drove it about 12000 miles a year, but a fourth owner piled on three 24000 mile years. The most recent owner maintained it pretty good, but needs a minivan for his young family. It does have new tires.

I drove the Accord home, cleaned it out, washed it, and gassed it up…to better get to know it. Studied the CarFax and other records left in the car. It had been decently maintained. We’ll see if it proves to be a good deal. It was perhaps an average deal, all things considered. Some 93s and 94s were selling higher. Some other 98s were selling much higher, perhaps with lower miles. No car that old is perfect, they all have their issues. A more expensive car would’ve required higher insurance. I’m trying not to beat myself up over it. At first Will didn’t notice his new car, but he loves it. He’s not yet looking at the imperfections.

Later I sorted through all the old golf clubs we’ve accumulated. I have three sets to sell: one adult and two kids. MC stayed for dinner…Ceil cooked roast beef and scalloped potatoes. Later Ceil and I went to get my car. After all that running around, I was exhausted. For some reason Saturday night I couldn’t sleep…probably the Mtn Dew.

NP Sunday am. Ceil stayed home and cook baked chicken, slaw, and homemade mac & cheese, but Will and MC had already eaten. W went to work, and Ceil and I ran errands: Target, Home Depot, Office Depot, Whole Foods. The lack of sleep was taking it’s toll, so C, A, and M went down to passion without me. I watched the Braves, Dick Van Dyke, and Bob Newhart. and ate peach ice cream and popcorn.

Work neighbor Brad took his boys to that Friday game, sitting in the front row of the Pavilion. McCann’s homer went over his head. He signed up for the Bouliva watch at the 680 tent…and won. I never sign up for that, but I didn’t know they give away a watch a game. His son got a softball from the pregame derby.

The Brewers appear to be hot, and the Braves always struggle in Milwaukee. Hopefully Atlanta can continue this hot streak. Need to get the hitting and pitching both going at the same time.

Will enjoyed his first day of work. On the way home he was calculating how much he made. He cleans out the carts after they’re used. People leave so many balls that they’re thrown in a bucket. He brought home two Titleist Pro V1’s and a golf glove. Earlier in the day he cleaned out all our golf stuff, so “his” bag with the best clubs would be ready to go. Now Will doesn’t know about his new job at the golf course. Good money but long hours. He’s worked every day since he started. That’s ok, but school starts this week. Saturday he worked 5:30am – 12:30 pm. He came home and ran with MC.

I’d been wondering about Uncle Julio’s, but I think I’ll stick to all my regular Mexican places. Once Ceil had a waiter spill water on her, and she felt it! I’m trying not to eat so much, but often fail.

No comments: