Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Daily Devotions...on Twitter

Many preachers publish daily devotionals. Readers often forward these devotionals along. Sometimes to everyone they know, via email or Facebook. Others selectively send the devotional to someone they think needs this “word from God.”

Twitter is an interesting medium. The user has 140 characters to make a statement. This means the writer has to make his point both quickly and clearly (neither are my strong points). People can “follow” someone else on Twitter, so the follower can read whatever the “twitter-er” has to say. Theoretically, this gives you a closer look inside the life of someone famous that you’d like to get to know. Some (like athletes) make un-wise, foolish statements on Twitter.

Many follow famous preachers. For a while I followed Rick Warren, author of “A Purpose Driven Life”, pastor of a church in California. His tweets didn’t knock me off my feet, so I “un-followed” him.

Unlike a non-Christian walking into a church and listening to a sermon, following a preacher on Twitter means you might receive even deeper messages. Like sitting in on a Bible Study led by the pastor. Unlike a church service, since you weren’t specifically invited. You just listen in.

Louie Giglio has embraced Twitter, and his outgoing, infectious personality comes across well in 140 character chunks. He tweets what he loves: NASA and outer space, bicycling, tennis, people…and God. Louie tweets both before and after services not with details, but boldly proclaiming how God moved in the services. During the week he might hit followers with a Biblical insight, or a quote. “Tozer Tuesday” is a regular example.

Likewise, Andy Stanley’s tweets follow his more efficient, detail-oriented personality. He tweets much more infrequently, but always with a message. Since hundreds of church leaders follow Andy, he plays follow-the-leader / learn-from-my-example. He proclaims his love for his family and church with detailed tweets. Andy gently reminds parishioner followers across metro Atlanta of special church events. Like his friend Louie, Andy sometimes tweets a meaningful verse or thought. Usually it has to do with a sermon he recently delivered.

In the past I have “re-tweeted” some of Louie’s better tweets as short posts on my blog…mainly as a reminder to me. Monday Andy sent a tweet I decided to keep. Something I always need to remember.

@AndyStanley: When something about you bothers me,

I need to take a long hard look at me before bothering you.

Matthew 7:3

No comments: