Thursday, August 04, 2011

A God Thing

This spring Anna asked me to help her with a skit for school. She, Caroline, and Lily were up against their ultra-competitive rival Thomas. Thomas went with a Veggie Tales theme. As it turned out, sister Mary-Clayton helped with “choreography” (and background vocals). His mom also added assistance.

The girls started with several rough ideas, and an outline of the information they needed to relay. I just did what I do…shaping it into a short skit, thinking up funny ideas as I went. Since Johnny Depp’s fourth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean was coming out, I gave the skit a pirates theme. The girls took it and ran with it, painting a cardboard ship and donning great costumes. The skit was a success, and the Hargraves and Neiburs were grateful. To me it was nothing. Writing and being creative…that’s what I do.

Later my “niece” Caroline graciously sent me a funny thank-you card, along with a $50.00 Outback gift certificate, for my “work.” This was most unexpected! Ceil saw the gift cards were good at Bonefish, where she longed to dine. In mid-July we headed to Myrtle Beach, and we had yet to use the cards. Every year at the beach the adults go out to Bonefish. The ladies get dolled up for the evening on the town, and we all have a good time laughing, talking, drinking, and eating.

When most Atlantans go to the beach they eat at a local place. We can always eat at a chain restaurant when we’re back home. Then again, the closest Bonefish is almost two hours from Jefferson. In rural South Carolina the situation is reversed: there are many more “local” places than nice chain restaurants.

Not my favorite night of the year, since I’m allergic to seafood. Almost every year something happens with the kids back at the condo. Children go places without supervision, disobeying instructions. Usually Matthew is treated bad. One year the “sitter” gave Mountain Dew to a baby. But if I don’t do to Bonefish, I’m the party-pooper. So I go.

Ceil made a point of using MY gift cards. The next day was packing day. Ceil is never in a hurry to leave, never remembering the trip home takes over seven hours. By our usual 3 pm departure I’m already exhausted from the packing (and one last hour fighting waves with Matthew and Josiah).

I’m also grumpy, having to remember everything my other immediate family members forget. The packing gives me time to ruminate on the gift cards I had earned, used for my least favorite dinner of the year. Driving west out of Myrtle Beach, I realized I would have seven more hours to feel bad about this “unfairness.” Everyone else would nap.

In my mind I obviously knew the futility of harboring such negative thoughts. Wanting to hold onto them a bit longer, I fought casting them aside, discussing it with God. Missed turns, Columbia’s rush hour traffic, a sputtering minivan, and 285 construction didn’t help my attitude.

Recovering my car at work, Matthew and I took Josiah home. His mother greeted us at the door, thanking me for generously allowing Josiah to have a week at the beach. To me it was nothing (other than someone to occupy the often selfish Matthew…perhaps quite selfish in my own right). Paige handed me a sealed thank-you card. Quite thick, I noticed. In the dark of the evening, I placed the envelope in the car.

We drove home. Ceil and Anna had most of the van unpacked. I unloaded a few more perishables, then called it an evening. As I lay in bed my mind replayed the events of the day. I had to decide whether to feel happy or sad. I remembered the unread card, still in the car. It could wait until morning.

Perhaps, I thought, the thick envelope contained a gift. I told God that He’d be real funny if there was a gift card in the envelope. That ended the evening on an up note.

In the morning I continued unpacking. While in the garage I remembered the card, so I opened the envelope. Sure enough, it contained a $50.00 gift card. To Outback.

That God is a funny guy.

No comments: