Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Resting the Relievers

With a “comfortable” lead in the wild card, and the Phillies virtually impossible to catch, Fredi is trying to give players periodic rest. Tuesday night it was Freeman and Venters. Monday it was Kimbrel. The Cubs scored four to cut the lead to one run, at least in part when Hinske couldn’t handle a throw in the dirt. Freeman would’ve probably had it. Later the rookie came into the game for defense.

It’s great to rest the three overworked relievers, giving the others needed experience. If the others don’t perform, it’s better to know it now, so alternative plans can be made before the playoffs. It’s also good to get Hinske work at first base, and more at bats, in case he has to fill in due to an injury. Would be good to let Conrad get similar work (he might be a better backup first-baseman than Hinske).

Do you agree with Fredi’s strategy? I sure hated watching the Cubs come back last night.

Nice to see Heyward get three hits, a sure boost to his confidence. One was just a hard hit ball just out of the first-baseman’s reach. But just before his grand slam, he swung at the first pitch (low) immediately after the pitcher had walked the previous batter. OK to be aggressive, but in that situation I would’ve only swung at a perfect pitch (though I’m sure hitting ANY 95 MPH pitch is rather difficult). Another indicator there’s not much COACHING going on over at East Cobb Baseball. Yes, I'm becoming a crotchedy old man.

Still concerned about the Rookie of the Year balloting. Washington’s Espinosa will get the northeastern media/Braves hater vote. Freeman’s season has topped Espinosa’s, but I think Kimbrel’s numbers beat Freeman. But some won’t vote for Kimbrel because he’s a pitcher. I have a bad feeling about this.

Not much going on with me. Had homemade burritos Tuesday, with chicken cooked in El Porton salsa (the Mexican place next to the stinky Kroger). Monday’s chili is one of the few things Matthew will eat, so I often encourage Ceil to make it. She’s always asking what she should fix.

Didn’t feel earthquake. Did those who felt it say so before hearing about it?

I don’t plan those FB sagas in advance. I rarely check FB at work (on my phone), but it’s easy to type a quick email. Tuesday it just started. I never plan ahead, instead making it up as I go along. Sometimes I’ll write 3 or 4 posts at one time, and space them out.

Tried new repair shop, recommended by the owner I bought Will’s car from. I may have him replace the timing belt, though his quote was high. My brakes lasted 90,000 miles.

No comments: