Monday, June 04, 2012

Braves Not Standing Pat

The Braves certainly aren’t standing pat. I didn’t think Pastornicky was doing that bad, but perhaps the plan all along was for Simmons to be called up June first. That was they get to keep him at a lower salary for an extra year. Plus Medlin is being groomed to start, and they feel Constanza provides more offense than “Home Run or Strikeout” Francisco.

Last week Fredi brought in his 8th inning setup man Venters to get them out of a 6th inning jam. That was different.

“Player’s manager”…one difference between these days and back in the 30s-40s-50s…back then there were lots more players stockpiled in the minors, with more minor league teams and leagues: AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D leagues. Players then were treated more like replaceable parts. Now they’re thought of as more valuable pieces of the puzzle…especially pitchers.  

I’m not yet finished with the SI steroids article, but it is interesting. Years ago Will attended a 2 hour pitching seminar that Naughty led, at Mt. Paran. It was after Dan became a Christian. Pretty sure steroids weren’t mentioned.

I pretty much have to be at work at 7 am…to be around in case the guys who start at 5:30 am have any problems. Most days I’m on the phone with them shortly after seven. About once a week I hear from them earlier, often before I get to work.

Like many managers I would often work past 5 pm, but now that I’m back working overtime my boss wants me to leave at 4 pm (while doing the same amount of work, or more). Murphy’s Law.

Movies: It’s Complicated (Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin), The Tourist (Johnny Deep), Salt (Angelina Jole), Perfect Sense (Ewan McGregor), Reality of Love (Bradley Cooper, Jason Priestley), and both Double Jeopardy and Kiss the Girls (Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd).

No comments: