Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Good News

Will got the job as a resident assistant in the UGA dorms next year. I told him to only do it if he wants to, and not just because we’re strapped for cash. Will says he wants to do it. That means we can get our master bathroom fixed up. Also both cars need to go into the shop, and we need a new garage door opener.

When he has the time, Will is helping coach the baseball team at Donovan High, a Catholic school in Athens. They play some of the teams that Will’s old Crown team plays. Learned over the weekend that Will’s former teammate Nathan had season-ending shoulder surgery. A switch-hitter, Nathan was the lightning-fast second-baseman/catcher/pitcher that Crown was counting on to help replace Will. Nathan’s sister Jordan graduated with Will, and his dad was a perennial scorekeeper like me. Brother Justin always goes to Switchfoot concerts with Matthew.

Will’s beard is getting pretty long.  

My back is better. Certainly not 100%...perhaps I’m at 75%. I tried to rest all weekend. Monday night I was trying to help clean the kitchen, and it started hurting.

Friday night we had Duck Dynasty on. I watched some, and read some.

Stayed upstairs reading Saturday morning. Eventually finished “The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven”. Just as interesting as “Heaven is for Real”…perhaps a better story. Started on Hank Haney’s “The Big Miss” about his time coaching Tiger Woods. The first part of the book is about Haney’s background, how he was always interesting in teaching golf. I’m not super knowledgeable about Haney, but he comes across to me as a humble guy. Haney revealed that he had to battle (& overcome) alcohol, and that he was always focused on improving as a teacher.

Will came home Saturday morning, and everyone (but me) went to see Joel Norman’s play in Rome. Sunday I watched the Braves. Joel came over and rode with Will to church. Last night we watched The Bible on the History Channel.

Monday night Ceil cooked Sloppy Joes for dinner, and they were great. Kinda sweet. Better than any recent spaghetti sauces or chili that she’s made. Chili is usually good, but too spicy. Ceil also cooked some squash soup. After supper I helped M with the outline for his Wright Brothers essay. Didn’t know that Orville once flew in a modern airplane piloted by Howard Hughes. Also read my Hank Haney book. I’ll sail through that one quickly.

Hear about the fuss people were making about the Capitol Ave Club’s author tweeting Heyward, telling him not to bunt? I first read about it on Rowland’s Office, then looked the guy up on Twitter. Heyward seemed pretty mature about it, except when he mentioned Ryan Braun and PED’s in the same tweet. Medlin thought he went too far with that one.

No comments: