Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Minivan's Last Days

Back at work, after several days of being constantly on the go.

Wednesday night when we returned from the 33 mile trip up to Holden Beach NC to eat dinner, I noticed the van was running hot. Thursday I woke up early and was going to take it to be repaired when I realized that I could check the coolant level. Then I drove to WalMart for antifreeze, put it in, and drove around for awhile. Problem solved. But I did notice the van was having trouble cranking. Ceil had the same problem Thursday evening.

Friday morning I got up early again. I cranked the van, and remembered it sounded back while idling. Then I saw the check engine light was on, so I left the van at Firestone. Walked the three blocks to the ocean, then walked back to the condo…two miles total. Ate breakfast, helped Phil put up the tents on the beach, played on the computer some, then started packing up. Picked up the van at 1 pm, loaded it up, and left for Atlanta at 3:33 pm. Van ran well, and we made it all the way to Augusta before stopping at Moes to eat. Stopped by work to get my car, and made it home shortly after 11 pm.

Wanting to sell the van, on Saturday I took it to the carwash to get the emissions tested. They cleaned the car inside and out, and tested the battery (It needed to be replaced, but it was over five years old). Back home I cleaned the van: wax, shampooed the carpets, etc. By Sunday night my back was hurting.

Sunday afternoon I traded for a BJ Upton bobblehead and took Matthew to Passion (Anna was coming from a sleepover). Watched the Braves and Nik Wallenda’s walk over the Grand Canyon.       

Matthew had a better time than usual at the beach. His older cousins accepted him more this year, and he went on shopping trips and fix in better while sitting with them at meals. His grandmother bought him several new outfits, that he enjoyed wearing when we went out to eat. Matthew would come out to the beach once a day, and we’d go out in the ocean for our swim. Then he would disappear back to the room. He cooked himself quite a few grilled cheese sandwiches.

I was just talking to Coach O’Leary’s daughter Chris about Ralph Sampson’s son. Her dad recently ran into Bobby Cremins, who loves his no-pressure fund-raising job at Tech. That reminded Chris of how Bobby Cremins bought her first car. O’leary and Ralph Freidgen were golfing with Cremins and his assistant Kevin Cantwell. Cremins kept losing bets, and kept doubling the bets trying to get even. Cantwell was horrified. Cremins lost big time, and O’Leary bought his daughter a car with his winnings.

The Sexton book arrived on June 14. Ceil was packing the car, but left the package at home. So I didn’t get it until we got back from the beach. I have thumbed through it, and will start on it soon. I’m enjoying Grisham’s A Painted House so much, that I want to finish it.

“Proof of Heaven”…I have that one on my list to read. Interesting that it is too scientific. Some people in the church aren’t crazy about books like “Proof”, but I have read three so far. I remember that you read Heaven is For Real. I read some of my Tim Wakefield book, which I had never finished. I was all worked up last night because of a huge problem some co-workers in North Carolina created. Back in April I told them I would help, but they wanted to mess it up themselves. I’ve already spent five hours on it.

On the way home Monday I stopped by Kroger. Had a nice chat with The Chief, the guy that goes to all the Braves games dressed as an Indian. Ceil went out with the girls. I looked on line at car prices, then went to bed early. Tuesday morning I got a new battery for the van. Tonight I’ll put it up for sale.

No comments: