Monday, February 17, 2014

Earthquake

Did you feel the Friday night earthquake? After Will and MC left I was sitting on the couch watching the rising stars game. Ceil was sitting at the computer with headphones on, watching Passion. M was in the living room watching Psych on Netflix. Anna was in the downstairs bedroom painting. At 10:22 I felt a bump, like Anna had pushed some furniture up against the wall behind me. I listened but felt or heard nothing else, so I went back to watching TV. The thought crossed my mind that an earthquake might be one of the few explanations for what I had felt, but who would believe me? A few minutes later Ceil read on Twitter reports about the earthquake. She asked me, and I said yes, I had felt the earthquake. Then I looked at my phone: reports from Conyers, Augusta, Athens, Woodstock, Clemson, Jefferson, and Greenville. But I was the only one at my house to feel it.

Will and Mary-Clayton had come over for dinner. At the last minute Ceil and Matthew ran out to Trader Joes and picked up salmon, a small pizza, and stir fry for the six of us. Watched some of the NBA celebrity game and rising stars game. That Kevin Hart guy sure is obnoxious, making the celebrity game almost unwatchable. All he could talk about was winning Celebrity Game MVP. Looks like he won his third straight. Last year he was co-MVP. Not sure about this year. Hart argued and complained the entire game. At one point he was above the top of the key dribbling and dribbling and then the shot clock expired. Meanwhile the tall grey haired Secretary of Education quietly dominated: rebounding, running the floor, passing, and scoring inside and outside. Elena Delle Donne also played well: passing, shooting, hustling, all with a pleasant smile on her face.

Late Saturday morning I got a haircut and went to the library. Later I drove Ceil and Matthew to Costco. I had bought a membership on line before the snowstorm, and Ceil spent $135.00 on 15 items. Luckily we had a $20.00 gift card. I’m not sure about that place. On the way home we ate at El Porton. Back home Ceil watched the Passion Conference in Houston, as she had done Friday night and Saturday afternoon. I watched the All-Star Saturday night. Elena Delle Donne also participated in the All Star Saturday night, when an NBA star, a retired player, and WNBA star each make a shot, then must sink a half-court shot as fast as possible. Tim Hardaway Senior and Junior, Stephon Curry and his dad, and Karl Malone all lost to Dominique and Chris Bosh.

Slow Sunday. Drove M to church, packaged five eBay items for shipping, and watched the end of Bubba Watson’s victory at Riviera. Anna spent the night at Brittany’s, but Will spent the night at the house. Ceil cooked one of her favorite meals: roast beef, mashed potatoes, and mixed vegetables. Watched more of the Olympics.   
Last year I ordered a left-handed three-fingered baseball mitt on Amazon. The supplier eventually cancelled the order. Last week I ordered the same mitt, but the next day the order was cancelled. The supplier was sorry, but “the popular item was out of stock.” Of course it was out of stock. I’m not sure the mitt was ever made left-handed. The weekend I ordered the mitt from a third supplier, and sure enough the order was cancelled. I complained to Amazon. One other Amazon supplier offers the mitt for sale (no one else has it on the internet). Akadema, the glove manufacturer, stopped selling the mitt several years ago. I’d be happy with a Chinese knockoff.

No comments: