Monday, February 24, 2014

Fox News: Fair & Balanced?

Friday evening I swapped tweets with Todd Starnes of Fox News Radio and another news guy from Charlotte – both Christians. They were quick to blast Andy Stanley for a quote he made in a USA Today editorial. Starnes regularly blows things out of proportion and throws people under the bus to further his side of a story. My tweet got their attention, but didn't change their minds. 

I've never known anyone anywhere as careful with their public words and actions as Andy. As much as he stays away from controversy and the public eye (and keeping to his stated goal of leading others into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ) - if Andy said something to USA Today, he had a reason for doing so. You'd think people in the news business would want to get to the bottom of the story, instead of mindlessly shrilling for page views. Sunday Andy did not preach at North Point.

Sunday Todd Starnes was using his soapbox to blast the Opryland Hotel for offering international dishes like croissants, but not good old Southern food like biscuits. He blasted Delta for not having hot water for coffee on his flight into Nashville. When Delta had coffee and pastries for the flight's passengers as they got off the plane, Starnes had to soften. He must want to storm his way to the top of Fox News, not caring about who he crushes along the way. What a turn-off.

Left work Friday and while driving home realized I had forgotten to do something that was needed at 5 am this morning. Wrote a "V" on my hand to remind myself. Completely forgot about it until my alarm went off this morning at 6 am – then it was the first thing I thought about. Went downstairs, logged onto my laptop, entered today's orders, and called Augusta. On my way upstairs I looked out the front window and saw a fox trotting down the road. At least it wasn't Todd Starnes.

Got home from work Friday and Ceil was worn out from the drive home from SC. I drove her to Trader Joes to get something for supper.

Saturday morning I cleaned upstairs. Packaged two eBay items (Cardinals jersey & 1996 Olympic T-shirt) and took them up to the post office. Stopped by the ATM and Kroger. Later I took Matthew to get new strings for his guitar. While we waited we checked out a thrift store. Later I made a third trip to get something else. Took Barney exploring down at the creek, then Anna took him on a long walk.

Sunday after the morning North Point service I did the laundry and cleaned the kitchen. Watched "as Good as it Gets." Took M to passion and later picked him up. On the way home he goaded me into picking up a PaPa Johns Pizza for dinner. Ceil didn't tell me she had already fixed beans and rice.

Busy Monday morning, fixing problems and such. Did get in a walk to the other building and back - to drop off some paperwork.

I did see the Syracuse/Duke fuss. The twitter-verse went wild.

No comments: