Monday, July 07, 2014

My Peachtree

Left home Friday morning at 6:05 am. I’d said we needed to leave at 5:50 am. Took two cars because MC had to be in Cartersville at 10:30 am. Will was going to park at the Botanical Gardens but the road was blocked, so he parked at Ansley Mall. Then we had to cut around Piedmont Park to my usual parking place on Myrtle Ave. Walked to the North Avenue MARTA station and took the first train, because you never know how long the second train will be. Got off at the Buckhead Station right when a southbound train filled with runners was also unloading, making the long walk past Buckhead Church and around the Buckhead Loop – then around the back of Phipps Plaza past Weiuca Road Baptist. I told MC we were almost to the two mile mark.

Will and MC started in Group G at 8 am, and I fell into Group L, which started around 8:15. Bob Lamb was ahead of me. Alternated running and walking the whole way. Didn’t see anyone I knew until I reached SPdL. Then I didn’t see anyone else I knew until after the race, except my co-worker at the Pershing Point water station. My brief stop at SPdL was my only stop.Great running conditions, with clouds covering the sun. Walked up the hill past Piedmont Hospital and saw the Darlington Apartments Population Sign change.  

I finished with a time of 1:15:52, my best time since 2010. After the race I filled my bag with PowerAde Zero and ate two popsicles as I walked around Grady Stadium with the parade of finishers. The sun came out as I walked up 9th Street and I started sweating again. Saw Elizabeth Smith Carroll, the recently married sister of Preston Smith. Was on my way home by 10:15.

MC’s hip was hurting, so she and Will walked a lot. Later I discovered they crossed the finish line less than two minutes before I did. Back home I checked results at AJC.com and took a long nap. Picked up Matthew over off I-75. Ate BBQ and then watched fireworks at the nearby Indian Hills Country Club. That required a hilly half mile hike (both ways) on my already sore feet – carrying two lawn chairs.

Saturday I was still tired and sore. Cleaned upstairs, and drove Matthew up to Sarah’s. Her family all ran the Peachtree as well. Sunday I cleaned downstairs all day. Also did dishes and several loads of laundry. Will and MC returned home from the wedding in Braselton and church in Athens. Celebrated Will’s birthday Sunday night with lasagna, pie, pound cake, strawberries, and ice cream. Did the dishes, then went to bed exhausted.

Got in to work this morning after the customer was off for two weeks and already had two emergencies.

No comments: