Monday, May 16, 2016

Days of the Week

Tuesday: I worked til six and stopped by RaceTrac and two thrift stores on the way home. Bought a nice Columbia shirt and a long sleeve Braves pullover: warm and nice. I’d thought C was going to the store so I took my time. Helped her finish cleaning the house. Anna and John arrived about eight, and a few minutes later John’s dad arrived to pick him up. Taco salad for supper. A and M hung out downstairs for a while. Watched Chicago Med. Computer was slow and I forgot to make a blog post on my phone, missing the first day in 1-1/2 years. I had it all written out but I just didn’t get it posted.  

Wednesday: Ruby Tuesday salad bar for lunch. C and A went to Target, Publix, and Trader Joes. M went to Sprouts. Supper was boneless chicken breasts baked in gravy, rice, kale, broccoli, and squash. Later I did the dishes. Internet isn’t working with four people trying to get on line. Watched Heartbeat, Modern Family, Seinfeld, and The Middle.

Posted a bobblehead on eBay for $100.00. One just like it had recently sold for $75 but I was in no hurry. Mine immediately attracted interest, so I quickly jacked the price up to $150.00. It sold in about an hour. There’s one other like it for sale on eBay for $200 that hasn’t sold yet. There’s going to be a bobblehead day for pitcher Aaron Nola, wearing one of those jesters hats you see at Mardi Grah.

Thursday: A was to meet John for lunch but had left her keys in C’s car, and C had A’s spare key in her purse. Not good.  Tonight John comes to dinner and Will is coming back as well, so I’ll leave work at 5 pm today. Six cars in the driveway.

We have a new lady at work I’m trying to train. She’s busy on the switchboard until tomorrow, which make teaching complicated things harder. Ties up my time and I get less done, but if we keep her it will mean less work in the long run.

Left work at 5 pm both Thursday and Friday and drove straight home. Thursday night we had a house full: Will, Anna, Matthew, Anna’s friend John, and MC’s brother Thomas. Ceil baked Anna’s favorite enchiladas. For dessert brownies and ice cream. Later the kids played a complicated game. M took off to band practice at Shep’s. We watched the OKC/Spurs game. I went to bed at 10 pm. Thomas had come from his graduation practice. His parents had flown to Oklahoma. Dr. Tom would be staying through Sunday for MC’s outdoor graduation (it rained) but Regina returned Friday for Thomas’ graduation.

Friday night W, A, and I found seats in the sanctuary for the Johnson Ferry Christian Academy graduation. MC’s uncle and his partner sat with us. Seven short speeches by graduates (only two boys), and Thomas’ was one of the better ones, thanks to his experience as a performer in 4H. Photos and reception afterwards, catered by Righteous Que BBQ. At 10 pm the party moved north to Regina’s brother’s house, where there was more BBQ. Thomas had recently started dating fellow graduate Holly – sister of Oglethorpe basketballer Conner Smith. Holly’s parents Brent and Carol made an appearance. Brent grew up in Sandy Springs with the Gilbert boys. He said last year after a strong start, Oglethorpe lost two of their best players, and struggled the rest of the way. Conner played well but couldn’t carry the team by himself. The Petrels should be better next year. Joel Norman stopped by. It was after midnight before we got home.

Saturday morning I helped Will pack up his SUV. We drove to Costco to get him a card and fill up his tank for 2.059. He went on to Cartersville to load more stuff before attending pad Harry’s graduation party. I took the scenic route home after eating a big Costco hot dog. Stopped by four thrift stores and two RaceTracs. Anna went over to John’s house and M went to a concert in Cumming. C and I cleaned upstairs and hung curtains in our bedroom. With W moved out there’s more space in the downstairs bedroom as well. We didn’t finish until after 8 pm, and so we crashed on the couch to watch the Hallmark Channel.

Our Sunday School class always brings in different speakers on a variety of topics. Most are great but yesterday’s was a flop: some young downtown lawyer/wannabe politician who thought he was an expert on everything. He would just talk and talk (he kept bragging about his 13 pages of notes) not realizing the blasphemy and inaccuracy of some of the things he was saying. He really didn’t make any point – he just rambled for an hour. After a while it got depressing. Later my friend Lee said he listened from another room so he wouldn’t try to respond. Lee said it was good his wife Nancy wasn’t there because she would’ve picked him to pieces.

It was hard to concentrate to Bryant’s excellent sermon after the Sunday School catastrophe and the song leader’s insistence of drawing the attention away from whoever’s singing the solo. This week it was Heather Swilley Taylor. Perhaps we’ll go back to Passion City Church. I’m not a social butterfly who’s going to introduce myself to a bunch of people I don’t know. Most of the Johnson Ferry men stick to themselves and their regular group of friends. Besides the small group of guys that I know, only a small handful have really reached out. I know it is as much me as it is them.

After church we stopped by Publix. Ceil cooked burgers and organic fries. I watched golf and the Braves (in throwback uniforms, above) and did some laundry and worked on the computer. M went to Passion and Lenox Square. Anna walked the Beltline and attended Grace Midtown. C went to The Avenue and IKEA and walked with Noelle.

When I’m in Myrtle Beach this summer I can either go to a Pelicans game on dollar beer night or buy one get one free hot dog night. Which one should I pick? Actually the game I pick will probably depend on everyone else’s plans, like for dinner. We always go to a nearby Bonefish, a local place called Stephens, as well as an hour up the road to Holden Beach. I’ll be needed to drive to Holden if my mother in law is able to go.

See where 87 year old Jane Little passed away? She was the tiny lady playing the huge bass in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. She also played at SPdL, according to Jayne Bedingfield.

3 comments:

Don Head said...

Noticed the missed. If you can't be more consistent I may have to stop reading! :)

David said...

So did my dad - I'm a slump! I blame it on slow internet at home!

Don Head said...

Blame it on Gonzalez - he's getting blamed for everything else!