Saturday, January 25, 2020

ChopFest

Cold day for the Braves ChopFest. High of 44 degrees. I arrived after the 10 am start. Big crowd. I knew to head downstairs to the season ticket area, - where it was warm, there was food, and shorter lines for player photos.
I'd missed one photo session (Freeman? Acuna?) but went straight down to meet the rookies: pitcher Ian Anderson, outfielders Drew Waters and Christian Pache, and pitchers Kyle Wright and Dylan Wright. One of them called me sir. I admit I didn't know who was who, and their hoodies covered the names on the backs of their jerseys. Had to get other fans to tell me who they were.
I happened to be near when the five were leaving, walking through the crowd. For fun I decided to follow. Four ducked behind a curtain on their way to their next commitment.
Pache is a big boy. Filled out since his homer in the 2018 preseason game I'd attended. He and Waters should be ready to replace Ozuna and Markakis in 2021.
I followed Pache to the elevator.
While waiting I got my picture with him.
Big crowds on the field. Long lines on the mezzanine. Cold. Retreated downstairs. I passed on the wings and salads, sampled the pizza, and downed a dog, BBQ slider, and burger slider. Skipped the dessert bar. Saw Nabil, Katie, Norman, and Darrell.
Hall of Fame General Manager emeritus John Schuerholz
was holding court nearby.
Didn't have to wait long for the next photo opp, with manager Brian Snitker, legendary third base coach Ron Washington, and bench coach Walt Weiss.
Went crazy and took advantage of the Clubhouse Store clearance sale, getting rid of all the current player Majestic jerseys for $35.00. I "needed" a home white jersey. Since there are so many Freeman, Acuna, Swanson, and Albies jerseys, and no McCann nor Riley jerseys in my size, I opted for a $25.00 Donaldson jersey. Regular price $175.00. Beats a Chinese knockoff for about the same price.
It was a baseball day: 8 am breakfast with the head of the Malaysian baseball federation, 10:30 ChopFest, and 2 pm presentations on Ponce de Leon Park (notes to be typed up and posted next week). For the occasion I broke out my 47 Brand Atlanta Crackers t-shirt.

No comments: