Thursday, January 30, 2020

Goodbye Miss Marian

           
Sad news: learned last night that my Braves usher friend Miss Marian passed away yesterday. She will be missed.

Monday night I watched the beginning of UNC/NCST at the gym. Interesting that the game was in Raleigh but State wore red and UNC wore blue. You didn't watch Kobe's last game? That tempted me. Saw where when Kobe made those last two foul shots to reach 60, Gordon Hayward committed a lane violation.
 
I have never seen Titanic all the way through. There are movies like that I will pick up and watch since they're on, but with Hulu TV most times we don't scroll through the channels to see what's on. It's easier to watch anything we want when we want. Now we don't have to stay up for the 10 pm shows, but instead watch them the next day.


Funny comment from Andy Stanley's book Irresistible, which I listened to Andy read. All the way through he'd make offhand comments. Didn't know if they were in the book or not. He was talking about after the crucifixion Joseph of A took the body and wrapped it and put it in the tomb. He had to hurry to finish before what, before Passover started, right? On Sunday the women were headed to the tomb to re-wrap the body, Andy said, because the women were sure the men probably didn't do it right the first time. Funny joke.
 
Sign steaking: I'll have to read the Bradley article. I haven't really immersed myself in the controversy. Back in the 60's Joe Garagiola wrote his book Baseball Is a Funny Game. He had a chapter about sign stealing. Saw where Chipper said if that had happened on his team he would've made them stop.
 
Crackers: I have a picture here of the 1964 team. The only familiar names are Marty Martinez and Sandy Valdespino.    
 
Tuesday was crazy at work. One big mess that took a lot of digging and fixing. Typed up several emails that by the time I finished weren't needed, and had to delete. Running around in circles. Didn't leave for Taco Bell until 1230, which is late for me. Got back and got right back to work. Kept working until almost 530. When that happens other emails and paperwork stacks up, so today hopefully I can work through that stuff.
 
Changed clothes and left the office. Traffic heavy as usual. Stopped by the library to renew library card. While I was there I checked out two books on CD. Usually I've been listening one my phone. Was after 7 pm by the time I got to the gym. Lifted weights. After 35 minutes I had a huge headache. Went home and took a pill. Watched Parenthood, then a good Netflix movie Holiday in the Wild after C got home from a tough night at her women's ministry.
 
Denison: I didn’t realize the average Super Bowl ticket was over $8000.00. I’ll have to start entering Super Bowl sweepstakes. You are right about the world today – so divided. People aren’t distinguishing between wants and needs and rights. Sad that people think violence is okay if their political candidate doesn’t win. The book Denison quotes might be an interesting read (if it’s not too far over my head): Christopher Caldwell’s Age of Entitlement: America Since the Sixties.

In a related note, yesterday I stumbled across yesterday’s issue of The Atlanta Business Chronicle, with former SPdL member David Allman on the cover. Allman is often pictured in the ABC, as he is one of the top real estate developers in the city (I taught his son Adam at the SPdL ECS back in 1983). This time instead of news of another huge real estate deal being announced, involving the construction of another office tower or hotel, David is involved in a $25 million program to create affordable housing in the city.

Received a Gallup Poll in the mail. Took it to work and opened it up. A dollar bill fell out. Took two minutes to fill out. Questions about the job the media is doing, are they biased, etc.  
Wednesday: left work shortly after five. Haircut, so I got to the gym late. Only ran three miles but I did them in record time, not much over 13 minutes per mile. Ceil cooked chicken soup for dinner. Also tossed salad. Watched New Amsterdam, Schooled, and Parenthood – made it to season five already.
Left work at 215 pm today for a focus group on mold. Fun stuff. Made it to the gym after that.
Today was Anna’s first day at her new job in Athens. Sounds like she will be getting a new work computer. The Apple laptop her grandmother gave her for high school graduation has slowed down over time, with all the high tech graphic design programs she’s had to download.
 

Grizzlies seem to be doing better this year.
 
Just announced: construction on a new $34 million arena to host a UGA sports team. The sport: hockey. 
 
 

No comments: