Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Ozuna

So the Braves signed Ozuna. The Braves new leftfielder struck out less than Donaldson last year. He turned down the Cardinals offer of $17.8 million and signed with the Braves for $18 million. In six categories Ozuna bettered Donaldson in Sprint Speed, xSLG, and xBA, and equaled Donaldson in Exit Velocity, Hard Hit %, and xwOBA. Now I gotta look up what that means.
 
xSLG the likelihood a batted ball will be an extra base hit
xBA the likelihood a batted ball will be a hit
xwOBA expected weighted on base average. These stats remove how good the opposing defense is, and whether the ballpark is a pitchers park, or a hitters park like Coors Field.
 
No ballplayer is perfect. Not sure of Ozuna's defense. Some say he can be streaky - tear it up for a week, then go )-for the next week.
 
The Braves also signed former Cy Young winner King Fernandez to a minor league contract, to compete for the 5th starter spot. Fernandez used to be dominant but had fallen off in recent years. Didn’t realize King is younger than Verlander and other dominant pitchers, so there may be some gas left in the tank. The Venezuelan vet will be a steadying influence on Acuna.
 
The outfield and bench will be deeper this year, with Markakis, Incarte, and Adam Duvall competing for playing time. Heard again how hard Camargo and Riley are working. Add in utility infielders Culbertson and Adeiny Hechavarria. Inciarte may be traded. Rookies Walters and Pache are also knocking at the door. And still fans complain.
 
Tuesday: Ceil had her women’s ministry on Delk Road. They had a baby shower. Some of the women had no idea what a baby shower is.
 
I left shortly after five. To the gym. The first treadmill I got on clomped when I ran, so I had to switch. Went from 15 minute miles to 14 minute miles, even with the break to change machines. Four miles in 56:22. Weights after work today. Home for peanut butter pie. Watched Parenthood and Speechless.
 
Larry Walker was voted into the hall of fame, his numbers bolstered by playing in hitter friendly Coors Field. Fred McGrill had 239 more RBI, 110 more homers, and 554 more total bases.
 
Tuesday night at the gym I watched the start of KY/GA. Flipped over to ESPN2 and saw it was KU/KST so I changed back to KY/GA. Got home and turned on Wake Forest @ Clemson. Got a message on my phone about the KU/KST fight but didn’t look it up.
 
Big news: Anna got a job offer. A small start-up company in Athens. Job would be three days a week to start, first hourly and then salary. She’d be performing a wide range of tasks, getting valuable experience, with the ability to sometimes work from home. Even if it didn’t work out it would look great on her resume, and her new boss would be able to recommend her for other jobs in Athens or Atlanta. Comes at a good time because her hours at her other job have tailed off.
 
Trying to keep my mask on all night. Been sleeping all the way through the night without having to get up. No my mask only comes off when I take it off. Sometimes I think I’m half asleep and I take it off in the middle of the night. I’ve been trying to not do that any more. Probably haven’t been drinking quite as much fluids as I should though.
 
Having lunch Friday with Bruce. Would be fun to plan a trip to Memphis with him.
 
Trying to mix up what I wear to the gym. Black shorts, or warmups to lift weights in. Been wearing black or grey tshirts but lately my four blue Grizzlies tees. Need to mix in other tees as well: red or some of my Braves tshirts. I’ve run in my teal Sauconys, red Sauconys, and old Hokas, but now my royal Hokas. Need to change up my weightlifting sneakers. I’ve worn my black Nikes, blue Sambas, and white Stan Smiths. Need to mix in: black Roshes, white shell toes, old black Nikes, black Campus, red Pumas, orange KD7s, Huarache trainers, blue Hyperdunks, and grey AllBirds. Might as well upgrade my sock game as well. Light blue Grizzlies socks. Royal Hawks. Royal Braves. Orange KD7 socks. Black Sonic the Hedgehog. White Sonic. Blue Sonic.
 
WALTER JOHNSON [SABR Bio] held the career strikeout record for pitchers for sixty-two years. He passed Cy Young in 1921 with his 2,804th K and wasn’t passed until Steve Carlton threw his 3,710th in 1983. He once allowed fifteen hits in a complete game shutout - 15-H ShO = 03-Jul-1913. He beat BOS 1-0. Among those hits, his opponents had five doubles and added a stolen base. The April, 1915 Baseball Magazine showed him forsaking the AL for the Federal League and any potential increase in pay. He was depicted on the cover of a national sports magazine signing with a team in the other league, though he ultimately remained with the team where he debuted. 

No comments: