Monday, March 16, 2020

Serious Stuff

 
Are you hanging in there? Were you able to watch any church services? JFBC broadcast services on line, and our Sunday School class gathered on line both Saturday and Sunday morning. Ceil turned on Passion City Church so I watched that with her.
 
Ceil has felt bad since she returned home from SC last weekend. She has a bad cough. Can’t keep her home though. Friday she got a haircut and went to Whole Foods. Saturday she went to Lowes and Whole Foods, and met Anna in Sandy Springs. Sunday she went to Whole Foods again. Not sure but I don’t feel 100%. I’m going to work and going home.  Not sure how smart it is, but people want me in meetings on Wednesday. Might be more dangerous for the people I’m meeting with – they’re older and more at risk. What isn't 100% with me is my lungs. Hope they're not filling with fluid. Got a little bit of a cough. I may feel only 85-90%.
 
They’re saying to self-quarantine, but so many are going out every day business as usual. Lines wrapped around Costco. I’m taking it seriously, though others I know are not.
 
They say its gonna get worse before it gets better. CDC says stay inside for 8 weeks. Ceil’s school is closed. Hopefully they don’t close my office because I need the money. At some point they’ll probably stop filming new episodes of TV shows.
 
Denison: The key is to reframe personal sacrifice as service to others. According to the CDC, older adults and people with chronic medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease are at higher risk from COVID-19. Data from China showed a mortality rate among those with cardiovascular disease of 10.5 percent; for those with no underlying conditions, it was 0.9 percent. For those under fifty years of age, the death rate was 0.4 percent or less; for those over eighty years of age, it was 14.8 percent. This means that social distancing is not just to keep you from becoming infected—it is to keep you from infecting others, especially those at greater risk from the disease. Think of your parents or grandparents.
No Masters. The Masters is only postponed, not cancelled. I bet they find a way to squeeze it in this year. They did cancel the Masters during WW2 though, didn’t they.
 
People are calling for ESPN to go ahead and run their 9 part special about Michael Jordan now, instead of waiting until June. Sounds good to me. Some say college baseball players and other athletes should be granted an extra year of eligibility, since they were denied their senior season. Good idea? Guess they won’t be doing that for basketball.
 
Actually worked late Friday afternoon, well past 530. Got a lot of orders to cut. Gonna be a challenge. Ceil cooked refried beans, rice, and grilled chicken for a Mexican supper. I piled it all together over chips. Watched a good Cate Blanchett movie: “Where’s You Go, Bernadette?”  based on the novel of the same name.

This weekend I was able to get over 27 hours of sleep. First time since I downloaded my sleep app over six months ago that I’ve had a surplus of sleep. 19.5 hours of quality sleep and 9.5 hours of deep sleep. Guess I needed it. Now I got to get back to working out.
 
Saturday morning I stayed upstairs cleaning up until almost noon. Did laundry and cleaned up. Ceil sent me out to get a load of pine straw. The guy running the place was talking about the virus. His eleven year old son was on a couch, coughing up a storm. Great. Stopped by Dollar Tree while I was out.
 
Lately our view across the creek behind our house has been more open. Sometimes the water people clear out around the sewer lines, but Saturday I realized a huge tree had fallen from the far bank, across the creek, landing on the hill behind our house. I won’t mess with the trunk, but it will be tough cleaning away all the limbs on the steep hill.
Watched Hallmark Channel on Saturday night. Slept late Sunday morning then watched Passion City. Like Deiter on SNL, everyone wears all black. Almost comical. At least one musician traded his all-white sneakers for black & white Jordans.
Did more laundry. Caught up on emails. Fixed quesadillas. Took a nap. For supper C baked a chicken, tossed a salad, cooked rice and broccoli. Watched her Hallmark Channel shows.
 
Q: who got sacked more: slow, immobile Peyton Manning or the oft-injured, fastest, most mobile QB in history, Michael Vick? I’m going to research how many games each played.
 
A: Michael Vick was sacked twice as much as Peyton Manning.
 
PL.games.sacked
PM 266  303  1.1 per game
MV 143  316  2.2 per game

CHIEF BENDER [SABR Bio] while pitching a no-hitter, is said to have created the pitch we now call the slider – 1st slider = 12-May-1910, no-hitter over CLE. Manager Connie Mack, a man not known to be effusive with player evaluations, once said, "If I had all the men I've ever handled & they were in their prime & there was one game I wanted to win above all others, [he] would be my man." He hit half of his career six home runs in a four-day period, including two in one game - 3 HR = 05-May- & 08-May-1906, all 3 IPHR. Of the final 3 he hit in his career, 2 were bounce-HR, but during his dalliance in the Federal League, he put one over the fence in Kansas City. He was the first player born in the 32nd state to receive a Hall of Fame vote - born 05-May-1884 in Crow Wing County, Minnesota.  Minnesota entered the Union on 11-May-1858 (just after California and just before Oregon). His 1st HOF vote = 1936. Inducted finally in 1953, a year before his death, by the Veterans Committee and thus also the first player inducted from Minnesota. He was not the most famous athlete who attended his high school. He attended the Carlisle Indian School in Carlisle, PA about a decade before Jim Thorpe. It wasn’t a high school in the traditional sense but was dedicated to helping educate young native American who showed promise.

ME: Joe Guyon also attended the Carlisle Indian School, then went on to play football and baseball at Georgia Tech. He was enshrined in the GT hall of fame, the college football hall of fame, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

No comments: