Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Complaining and Arguing

This week in small group we’re studying one of my favorite passages: Philippians chapter two. It’s not that I say you shouldn’t complain, that you should be generous, that you show love to your wife and put her needs before your own. This is what God commands in the New Testament.

v 3: Do nothing from selfish ambition or empty conceit, but with humility of mind consider others as more important than yourselves.

v 4: Let each of you look not only to his own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

v 5: Have this mind in you, which is also in Christ Jesus

v 14: Do everything without complaining or arguing

No I am not perfect. I type this to remind myself as much as anyone else. It’s easy to hear this stuff while sitting in the pew on Sunday morning, but much harder to practice when my wife needs me to do something, when I’d rather be watching TV.

It’s hard to not complain and feel sorry for myself sometimes, especially when I’m just hanging around the house. When I’m around other people I have to behave and watch my tongue. Just one reason why its better to not isolate myself. People may not all think like me, but face to face we’re trained to be more civil.

Am I so right, that I’d rather cut myself off from everyone else? What kind of life is that? Then I’d wonder why I don’t have any friends. Life is hard. Finish strong. Love other people. There is still time.
Happy Birthday Herschel Walker. Fifty-eight years old and still looks like he can play in the NFL. The greatest number 34 in Philadelphia Eagles history. Rarely complained or argued.
 
https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Herschel-Walker-Eagles-greatest-No-34--133170337/ 

Monday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Egg McMuffin’s debut, McDonalds gave away free Egg McMuffins. In order to get the free Egg McMuffin (between 600-1030 am) you had to download the McDonalds app on your cell phone and place the order on line.

Saw where Hawks were playing Grizz. Trae looks muscular standing next to Ja Morant. After the game they took off their jerseys and traded them.
Monday: I logged off by computer at 1130 am. Stopped for gas and a free drink. Atlanta traffic was heavy and misty making it hard to see. Got better south of town. Had considered meeting Anna for lunch since I had 4 hours to make it to my meeting, but with the rain I kept driving. Stopped for a bathroom break and drink. Then a late lunch at CookOut: milkshake of the month (chocolate chip cookie) and double burger loaded with lettuce and onions. Much better than the comparable burger and frosty at Wendys.

Stopped by a thrift store and bought a Macon Bacon cap. I had a similar cap but this one fit much better. Later I picked up an Arbys fish sandwich for my mom and tried their turkey slider, on special for a dollar between 2-5 pm. The slider was tiny with hardly any meat. Can’t believe they charge more than a dollar for that small thing.

Hung out with my parents for a while before heading back. On the way out of town I stopped by CookOut again for supper. More rain and traffic on the way home. That drive to Macon is really tough. Going back tomorrow.

Got home. M had cooked a cheese pizza. C had eaten black eyed peas. M was watching cooking shows. Later I watched Parenthood. The final season is so good. For the most part everyone gets a happy ending.

Grabbed my backpack to get my laptop – and realized I had left my laptop at work, something I never do.

Why do I list everything I eat? Several reasons. (1) some of my readers like it. (2) maybe by listing what I eat, I will eat less. (3) it’s my damn blog, so I can write about what I please.

Would it be nice if I had more readers? That’s not the top reason I keep up my blog. Sure I could share blog posts on my social media (should I?) but right now I’m just fine not doing that (with a few exceptions).

Today’s Denison: trust in God because He knows what is best. Don’t assume our faith obligates God to answer prayers as we wish.

https://www.denisonforum.org/columns/daily-article/second-us-patient-dies-of-coronavirus-three-responses-to-a-challenge-weve-not-seen-in-my-lifetime/https://www.denisonforum.org/columns/daily-article/what-i-learned-about-pandemics-how-to-be-a-person-of-gods-own-heart/?utm_source=The+Daily+Article&utm_campaign=2c317ede9a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_16_05_39_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_51f776a552-2c317ede9a-275051929&mc_cid=2c317ede9a&mc_eid=994fc5af9a 

No comments: