Thursday, March 05, 2020

Six Degrees of Coronavirus

Ever hear of the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon"? Based on the "six degrees of separation" concept, which posits that any two people on Earth are six or fewer acquaintance links apart. Movie buffs challenge each other to find the shortest path between an arbitrary actor and prolific actor Kevin Bacon.
 
Looks like I just lost at the game "Six Degrees of Coronavirus." The Atlanta man who caught the virus in Milan passed the virus to his 15 year old son. Last Wednesday the son attended class at Living Science, the school my kids had attended back in the day. They didn't have to, but Living Science shut down the school for two weeks. Not sure if this 15 year old is in the same class as the children of David Cox, a guy in my Sunday School class. Last Saturday night at the dessert party I happen to talk at length with David Cox. I'd just learned he lives in the subdivision next to ours, where I had seen the fox.     
 
For those scoring at home: kid with virus > classmate > parent > me. Want to hang out?
 
Dennison: "we are witnessing the rise of a new ruling class: the minority who insist on their rights so loudly that they are intimidating the majority." 
 
Are stamps 50 cents now? What, fifty five? Jeez.  
 
Monday: stayed at work until around 545 finishing things up. To the gym to run four miles. Then to the library, then Kroger, then gassed up my car. Was 845 before I got home. Was cleaning up and hadn't even sat down before C came in from her women's ministry. Did different things before hitting the sack at 1030.
Wednesday: up early to drive to Macon. Tried out Wendys new breakfast. Frozen biscuit. At least the bacon was crispy. Only the drive thru was open, the inside remained closed until 9 am. Next door the Chickfila was packed – parking lot, long line at drive-thru, every table inside filled with customers. I had gone inside to hang out, but there was no place to sit.
 
Would be a challenge to keep my phone battery charged all day, so I took a book: Sandy Koufax. Rain and traffic driving down and also back. Long day at the hospital. Swung by CookOut on the way home for a burger and shake. Got home at 1030. Fell right asleep.
 
Thursday: crazy busy at work. Two meetings. Missed most of one meeting to take an emergency call. On the phone for an hour and a half on one topic. My mom has to keep her arm in a sling for 6 weeks. In the past she placed both hands on her walker, but going forward she will have to use a wheelchair. She is unable to walk with a cane. After 20 days at a rehab facility she will still need constant care to do just about every task. She won't be able to cook or get out of a chair like she used to, or anything requiring both hands.
 
Continued from earlier this week, some reasons why I blog and post on social media: (1) to develop and use the gift of creativity God has blessed me with, (2) to develop my writing skills, (3) to remind and instill various Godly principles that cross my mind, and (4) to explore and determine how I feel about various issues.
 
For instance: some people say everything they are thinking. No filter telling them what they're about to say might be hurtful, or that perhaps they shouldn't say what they're about to say. Do they not care that they're mean? Do they realize what they are doing? Are they so broken, so hurt, that their first and only reaction in life is to strike and attack? To always have to have the advantage? Does it really make things better to reply to every single comment someone else makes? Can they ever let someone else get in the last word, even if that comment is biting or derogatory? To be a peacemaker seems to be the furthest thing from their mind.
 
Obvious that some people don't listen to what the other person is saying. Instead they interrupt and start talking themselves. I might drop my guard and say something I shouldn't a certain percentage of the time, but with God's help far from every time.
 
Just because someone is mean to me or someone I love, is the solution to be mean to that person? What problem will this solve? Has this strategy worked in the past?
 
Jesus said: "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, so also to them…" Matthew 7:12

No comments: