Monday, May 14, 2007

Eye of the Tiger

My co-worker Randy, the super-outgoing sales guy who just moved to Lindbergh and recently attended Will & Matthew’s games, has a new kick-butt cell phone. He just added “Eye of the Tiger” as his ringbone. This morning it went off, and I commented to the three new people in the office that whenever we hear that, we all get up and start dancing. Then my new boss CK took us to the Atlanta Athletic Club for lunch, because there were two people in from Chicago. Right after we were seated the inevitable happened…Randy’s cell went off. He always appears to stare at the phone for several long seconds as it rings, as if he were checking the caller ID before answering. Randy finally hit some button to cut it off. CK commented that we were going to get kicked out of the club. Less than a minute later it rang again, and again instead of immediately answering Randy bolted up and marched quickly out of the room…Eye of the Tiger blaring the whole way. When he came back we made sure the phone was turned off.

After my boss SDA moved to Florida, I “reported” to his old boss KR, a super busy VP who never had time to spend with Steve, much less me. I would send him his monthly reports, but never saw or heard from him the entire ten months. With last week’s reorganization it makes sense to report to CK, another VP that I’ve known for a while…the guy who assigned the office location decision last week. I knew CK had frequented the Roswell Dreamland once or twice, so on the way to lunch I mentioned my recent visit to The Swallow on the Hollow. He’s never been, but wants to. CK has a ten year-old daughter, like me. He just came off heading the SAP conversion, which will help set me up on SAP training. I had been shunning it to avoid being a trainer, and having to travel for weeks and months on end. Now the timing is better. We joke that KR could be a hatchet man, so perhaps I’m in better hands.

When we returned from lunch, co-worker Matt was happy because he got to take the Little Rock trainee out to Dreamland for lunch…until he asked where we ate.

No comments: