Monday, May 28, 2007

My Highlights in Sports

A fellow blogger listed his athletic achievements and asked for similar reader submissions. Through few and unglorious, here are some of mine, in order only by sport...

Olympic Torch Runner
...1996 in Gary Indiana…bus ride through crowded streets, then running south on main drag at sunset.
...1996 at Wake Forest University/Winston Salem NC…uphill into a crowded downtown at lunchtime.
...2002 in Lenoir NC…running past a crowded elementary school.

Football
8th grade Colts…60 yard TD reception in Porter Stadium.
9th grade team…96-0 victory in Milledgeville, after beating the same team in Macon 66 – 0.
11th grade…1975 state champs…won playoff game 21-19.
12th grade…won three games 7 – 6, with my extra points being the difference.
College intramurals…scored all 19 points in a victory.

Baseball / Softball
Little League: line drives…hit one over my buddy Mike Hussey’s head at third to the fence,
and caught one at first hit right to me.
Adult softball…getting thrown out of a Macon church league game.
…cracking my shin playing second base in an industrial league game.
…over 15 years playing for the same Atlanta church league team.

Basketball
…my first game in double figures.
…all my shots fell in the Marathon Game’s ‘Bible Verse’ hour, where the points only counted if you were able to recite a verse from memory after a shot.
…playing the most hours in several 24-hour Marathon Games.
…driving past the best player on the other team for a layup, because he didn’t know I was lefthanded, until afterwards, when my buddy told him!

Running
…completing the 1993 Atlanta half marathon in under two hours.
…completing several Peachtree Road Races in the top 10% of finishers.

Golf
…my first par and birdie.
…my first chip-in, from about 60 feet.
…hitting the pin with my tee shot on a par three.

No comments: