Monday, May 14, 2007

The One That Got Away

Confession: I sometimes frequent thrift stores…mostly looking for unique items or books for the kids. That’s where I found the Albert Belle BP jersey. Over the years I’ve bought a Bo Jackson BP jersey, a kids Chipper jersey with the old vertically-arched lettered JONES nameplate, a navy kids Braves BP jersey, an Astros ‘peach-melba’ kids jersey, light-blue polyester kids replica pullover ‘Atlanta’ 80’s-era jersey, Atlanta Knights jersey, three Thrashers jerseys of different colors and sizes, two different Reds jerseys, a navy Mariners jersey, a mint $250.00 Clement winter league jersey, a Mike Schmidt Phillies St. Patrick’s Day jersey, a Rochester Chiefs baseball jersey, a kids Len Dawson jersey, a Yankees BP jersey…probably more. All were under $5.00 each.

Saturday I made a quick trip to a store between Will’s two games and saw a black Giants Bonds jersey, pretty authentic. I really didn’t feel like buying it. Later I had second thoughts, but last night was my first chance to go back, and it was gone. Could’ve worn it this summer. I had been thinking about wearing my royal Aaron-era Braves ‘feather’ jersey to the Giants game, since we’ll be sitting behind Bonds in the leftfield stands.

Other purchases… Rangers, Canadians, Ducks, and Black Hawks hockey jerseys, several antique baseball gloves (Moose Skowron, Warren Spahan, etc), Masters golf shirts, replica Jim McMahon Bears jersey, several wood Louisville Sluggers (Garvey, Ripken, Cepeda, Felipe Alou, Kaline, Go-Go Sox, Montenez).

No comments: