Wednesday, April 28, 2010

25 Hours of Jekyll

After reading the recent Sports Illustrated article on Steve Nash, where he talks about having to remember to “live life”, I decided to drive down to Jekyll. Since I couldn’t leave until Saturday, I feverishly cleaned Friday night. Only but a dent in what was on my list.

Woke at 5:15 Saturday, and was on the highway by six. Only made one gas stop, and crossed the bridge to the island before 11 am. I knew they were riding bikes, so I headed to the lunch spot on the northern tip of the island. I spotted Ceil sitting in a van in the parking lot, and was able to surprise her. Soon W, A, & M arrived. Hung out with Ceil the rest of the afternoon, as we followed the bike ride through the historic district.

Sat in a bit of the skit rehearsal, though it was tedious. It was the last night, a supposed serious time. Funny-kid Matthew Ellis remarked that since it was a serious night, he hadn’t worn his orange socks. Made me feel bad for wearing red shoes. I had only written the first half of this Act Four, and hadn’t seen the “serious” ending.

After a poolside cookout, the chaperones were staking out the best seats. I didn’t think much of the School Director making sure I got a front-row seat…until her announcements, when she pulled me up on stage to thank me for writing the skit. It was good to see the finished product, to see which jokes worked, and which didn’t.

Will was involved in two of the more serious scenes. He managed to accidentally crack the audience up in both. He was supposed to quickly remove his evil cape and switch over to the good side, but the tightly-tied cape wouldn’t budge. He finally had to give up. Then, for the climatic final scene the cast was to run off, change shirts, and return. Will couldn’t find his shirt until the last second, and was hurrying back on-stage, pulling it on. He arrived at his designated spot in the center of the stage just as he finished pulling it over his head. But he had put on the shirt backwards…much to the delight of the young campers.

Not long after the break I hit the road (at 9:25), and drove back to Macon to spend the night…arriving just after 1 am. Didn’t sleep well, due to the caffeine I had drank, and the raging thunderstorm. Read the clock wrong, and departed Macon at 5:15 am. Got home shortly after 7 am Sunday. Took a nap, and got a decent amount of housework done. Picked up C, A, & M at six, then Anna went back with me to get Will at 9:30.

Co-worker Darryl has to check into the hospital Thursday night. He’s started dialysis and hopes to check out today, but it looks doubtful. He needs a kidney transplant, but must first lose 25 pounds.

No comments: