Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Long Day

Woke at three this morning to take C, A, & M up to Living Science to go to Jekyll. Both the kids were excited to get haircuts yesterday. Matthew sported his new rocker cap and Chucks. Picked up Sandy on the way. Ceil didn’t get to ride with Mary Hurt, but I’m sure they’ll spend plenty of time together on the trip. Saw three dads I knew well…made me hate missing the trip. Ceil had me stay until they piled in the cars. At the last minute I found the extra car keys, sitting in the lobby.

Will called yesterday and said things were going well. Everyone seemed to love the skit. Last night Ceil had to stay at Anna’s ballet practice, leaving her less time to pack and sleep. Then an old friend called her at 9:30, stuck at the airport. Plenty to do while they’re gone. I’m not motivated to play golf, and there are no movies I’m waiting to see. Need to wax the cars.

While packing I got to see the huge Braves comeback. Funny how McLouth received the empty dugout treatment. The Hawks keep winning, perhaps because I’m not watching.

An SI article about the Twins bullpen told how LaRussa changed the relief pitcher dynamic by bringing in the closer only when leading in the ninth. Some complain that Cox created the problem. Last night Wagner pitched the tenth, with the game tied.

Lots of “fans” thought the Braves were cheap to not re-sign closer Mike Gonzalez. With Baltimore he blew 2 of his 3 save chances, then went on the DL April 14. Nobody lauds Frank Wren when he makes the right call.

The Discovery Channel aired a show about steel production, filmed at Ceil’s cousin’s Steel Dynamics plant in Indiana. He got more air time than anyone, describing the process.

Everyone but me in my family has seen the Blind Side…maybe I’ll rent it this weekend.

Wrote a note about Stan Putnal, a former teammate who died. He had two brothers who played college football in the early 70’s: Rex Putnal, a WR at UGA, and brother Steve, a LB at Tech.

No comments: