Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Chap Meeting Story

At the senior retreat chap meeting Mr. Landrum was explaining what goes on during the evening large group time. As he explained Who What Where, he added that the chaperones would be expected to join in. His face brightened, and he recounted the chaperone Who What Where from last year’s retreat.

“Last year the chaperones performed a hilarious Who What Where. I don’t remember exactly what they did. I think they just made up something, and didn’t even pull out the slips of paper from the jars. But it was funny. I think Mr. Mason made it up.”

Sitting in the back of the room, I cracked up. Mr. Mason had played the lead role of Mr. D in the short skit:

Who: The Living Science Retreat Caravan

What: Looking at Wildlife

Where: On Bio Lab Road in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Indeed, we hadn’t pulled these out of the jars. I had hastily made up the skit, and helped cast everyone in a role. That way everyone else could play the fool, and I could stay out of trouble. I figured Board Member Jim wouldn’t get chastised for playing Lance. I WANTED Mrs. Hanson to get into trouble, so she was cast as Mrs. D. Mr. Taylor stole the show, pretending to be an alligator. Ad-libbing, someone wrestled him.

While I was perfectly content to let Mr. Mason take the credit (he was not at the meeting), the incident was slightly typical of my life. At work I often help co-workers (both local and around the country) in areas of my expertise, though my superiors have little clue. I also monitor all the fabrication orders for our Atlanta complex, scrubbing the list and keeping it current. These are areas outside my job description.

On our account I also help out on many other tasks without my supervisor’s knowledge, allowing things to run smoother. Many times I struggle with flying under the radar. I always go back to the verses saying God will reward in secret, to not make a show of good deeds. Does this apply to these situations?

No comments: