Monday, January 16, 2012

Will's Essay

My enthusiasm for leadership and service sets me apart. A unique contributing factor is that I have never attended a traditional five day-a-week school. Home schooling has provided me with a well-rounded education that encourages leadership and service in my daily activities. It is this symbiotic relationship between home schooling and my leadership and service experiences that have stimulated my high school career, and is what sets me apart in this program.

My elementary years were enriched by a plethora of educational experiences, such as visits to museums, historical and recreational sites, and participation in art, science, and historical activities. These all proved beneficial and memorable, as I was able to see and experience the places I was studying, and actively engage in the learning process.

When I reached middle-school age my parents enrolled me in a non-traditional, once-a-week educational program that continued the emphasis on experiential learning, called Living Science. As its name suggests, the goal was to bring science to life. This was accomplished via labs and research that inspired students to learn about science by doing, and not merely memorizing.

Living Science took annual science trips to Jekyll Island, Georgia. As a sixth grader I recall being amazed at what I was able to see and grasp, through the studies and research we conducted. We collected water and soil samples, studied specimens in and around the ocean, and recorded indigenous birds and trees. Over the course of several years, we were able to do comparison studies using the data we had collected. We learned scientific method and procedures, and we created reports and graphs based on the data.

At an early age I developed enthusiasm for learning and sharing my knowledge. I was lead to serve on the Servant Leader Team in 10th grade, to plan and implement the same week-long science trips that had such an impact on my life. Very few sophomores are chosen as Team Leaders. My responsibilities included managing each of the three annual science trips, teaching the students, and overseeing enrichment activities. Serving three years on the team was a huge responsibility that proved extremely beneficial. This developed my leadership ability and basic understanding of scientific research. As a result, I now aspire to apply these lessons to pursue an undergraduate degree in biology, attend medical school, and strive to become a general surgeon.

In addition to leadership within academic programs, I have also had the opportunity to lead and serve through several extracurricular activities. At Camp Highland in Ellijay I was the summer’s youngest counselor. For four years I led small groups at church, as well as other independent middle-school groups. The varsity baseball team named me team captain both my junior and senior seasons.

My diverse leadership experiences, passion for service, and hands-on education have uniquely prepared me for the challenges of college, and a career in medicine. This is what sets me apart from other applicants.

No comments: