Thursday, July 19, 2012

Holden Beach NC

Another long day at the beach on Wednesday. The wind was blowing up sand in the afternoon, so it wasn't as pleasant. This year I've been spending just about all day on the beach, under Phil's tent. I'll go out there about 10:30 or eleven, and stay until around six, with only a break for lunch (chicken salad sandwich on toasted wheat).

Matthew will make one daily appearance on the beach, immediately heading out in the water to ride the waves. I'll go out with him. Once he's finished he heads back inside. Anna spends all day with cousins Victoria (15) and Jordan (14). They don't stay in one place for long: visiting various condos, swimming in the ocean, hanging out in the grassy area between the beach and condo. The routine continues at night, with late-night walks on the beach dips into the hot tub. With MC at his side, Will has spent less time than usual hanging out with his cussin' cousins.

For dinner we drove 32 miles one way / 50 minutes north to Holden Beach North Carolina to eat at Provisions, run by Ceil's sister-in-law's extended family member (when you live in Jefferson SC, you're used to driving that far to go out to eat). The rustic seafood restaurant is on the intercoastal waterway, almost under the main bridge headed to the beach. Holden is no Seaside or Destin. We had about 28 in our party. Ceil had one of their famous shrimp burgers. I tasted it...it was good, but a little too much seafood for my allergies. My burger was pretty good, but the fries were limp and tasteless.

It was after 11:30 by the time we returned. C had promised M we'd go on a hot Krispy Kreme doughnut run. We dropped Will, MC, and Ceil's dad at the condo, then hit KK. At midnight the KK was pretty busy. There were at least eight employees working, so the service was good. When we returned I went right to bed, but at 7 am I awoke to Ceil's dad banging around in the kitchen. I knew Matthew was sleeping on the couch, so I got up and moved him into my bed. Anna and her two cousins were also out sleeping in front of the TV. That meant the second double bed in MC's room was vacant, and beds in two other condos were vacant as well. Hopefully I can catch up on my sleep when we return to Atlanta.

No comments: