Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Day

Interesting Thanksgiving. On the way home from work Wednesday I stopped by the Land of a Thousand Hills Coffee Shop (LOTH), hoping to see Haley Hurt. She had left, but I did see Catherine Norman, home from Memphis. Wednesday night I rented “Coma” which turned out to be a four hour TV miniseries. Took a while to watch. Filmed in Atlanta, using the High Museum as a clinic for coma patients. Starred Richard Dreyfuss and Geena Davis. A lady from North Point (Kelly Lintz) even had a bit part as a nurse…a speaking role.

Thursday morning Will invited me to dinner with Mary-Clayton’s extended family, at her grandparent’s house not far away from our house. Turned out to be a fun time. The highlight: MC’s sister Anna’s cool new black boots. Will and I thought it funny that Joel & Anna G wanted to shop at the same places. Ceil’s family ate at the local BBQ place, where it was crowded. Then they headed back, arriving around 7:30. Before they arrived I got the leaves blown off the driveway.

Black Friday: Late Thursday Will and MC went out shopping with Joel (and Kevin?). Didn’t return until 4 am. Around noon Will got a haircut, and then C and MC took him downtown to the Regency Hyatt. Will was one of ten 4-Hers selected nationally for a 4H leadership conference. My purchase: hedge clippers from Home Depot, and some $7.00 European golf pants from the TJ Maxx next door. Back home I trimmed hedges until dark. Later Ceil and Anna went out shopping, and I missed meeting up with the Hurts at LOTH.

Saturday was another college football veg-out: ESPN College GameDay, Tech/Georgia, Florida/FSU, and Clemson/SC. Ceil baked blueberry muffins and cooked BBQ in the crockpot. I put up ten items on eBay, and have already sold a Kansas State baseball jersey for $50.00. Anna texted Joel, telling him we had his scarf. His hilarious reply went something like this: “Greatest day ever. Anna Gilbert is texting me!” Good thing nobody reads this blog.

For some reason Sunday I picked up Kim King’s book on Georgia Tech football, and read two thirds of it. Not very well written. Few stories or details not already widely known. But unlike UGA, it’s one of the few books out about Georgia Tech football. I should write one, after I write a Herschel book. There may be a couple of Herschel Walker books, including an “autobiography”…but none chronicling his football career.

Will’s 4H group ate at the downtown Ted’s Montana Grill for Sunday lunch. Later I picked him up from the hotel, and we met Ceil at Passion Church. Will headed back to Athens after the service. Traffic didn’t seem too bad. Monday afternoon he toured Turner Field with his 4H group.

No comments: