Thursday, February 08, 2018

February Hot Stove

Johnny Tallant runs the Hot Stove meetings in his basement up in north Forsyth county. I had met him in the dollar ticket line several years ago. He's the former president of the Braves 400 Club. Last night he gave me a program from their recent banquet. 
Mike Lum was one of the speakers - he was given the Luke Appling Nostalgia Award. Based on past recipients I'd say they give the award to get in an old Brave to show up and speak. Appling won the first award in 92 and was followed by Whitlow Wyatt, Bob Montag, Roy Hartsfield, Alvin Dark, Billy Hitchcock, Bobby Dews, Bobby Hendly (my neighbor in Macon), Cloninger, Niekro, Corrales, Bristol, Bobby Richardson, Bob Turley, Chambliss, Garber, Ron Blomberg, Pat Jarvis, Mazzone, and Darrel Chaney.

The program also listed the 400 Club's "Mr. Baseball" Award, created in 1992. Winners included Ted Turner, Bobby Cox, Bartholomay, Ernie Sr., Paul Snyder, Furman Bisher, Van Wieren, Niekro, Schuerholz, Dale Murphy, Jimmy Carter, Walter Banks, Skip Caray, Dayton Moore, Marquis Grissom, Hank Aaron, GT head coach Danny Hall, Chipper, Snitker (in January 1916) – and my friend Johnny Tallant. That's some pretty fast company.

Last month Tallant attended a North Forsyth High School baseball fundraiser. The speaker was the legendary coach from Mississippi State. Tallant befriended a guy who'd played one year at UGA (in 1996). That's how Brian Todd came to be last night's guest. In 96 the Braves hosted UGA in spring training, and Todd got to use (and keep) Mike Mordechai's bat. Said Chipper's was too heavy. Brian also talked a little about his career in manufacturing. I asked him the name of his company, which turned out to be one of our biggest customers. He knows a few of my coworkers and has toured our plant several times.

Last night my main man 80 year old Hugh wasn't at the Hot Stove meeting. You always worry when someone misses. On March 7 the guest at hot stove will be Gwinnett GM North Johnson. Should be interesting.

The SABR guys are having a big research presentation this weekend in Tucker. Several of the topics sound interesting – one has to do with constructing simulation games like Stratomatic. Another on the Federal League.

Planning on going to many Braves games this year? At ChopFest I caved and bought a four game package for four bobblehead games: Ender, Star Wars, Freddie Stretch, and Babe Ruth. I'll probably go to the Folty game in September as well. Guess I'll go to the four Gwinnett bobblehead games and at least one in Rome.

Anna and MC (and dog Okie) are coming home tomorrow for Catherine Norman's youngest brother's wedding on Saturday. Will is in Peru for part of his medical training. Last night he messaged that his phone had been stolen. He's got two more weeks before he comes home.

The outpatient surgery last Thursday went well. I was supposed to pee before I went home but during surgery they had completely emptied me out. Drank like five 12 ounce Diet Cokes but nothing. Got home at 5:30 and a cup of hot tea did the trick. Laid out on the couch Friday Saturday and Sunday. Trying to take it easy for two weeks.

I recently changed from eating cereal out of a box on the way to work for breakfast to fixing and drinking a protein shake – usually milk, protein powder, a little oatmeal, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I've been saving most for after I get to work so I won't be heavy on my daily weigh in. When I get out of my car at work I put the shake (Braves cup with a fitted top and straw) in my plastic Kroger bag with my lunch and water bottle. I know I have to be careful to keep the shake upright so it doesn't spill.

This morning I must not have been careful enough. When I got to my desk I noticed the shake had leaked into and out of the plastic bag. I looked behind me and saw I'd dripped on the tile floor walkway. I got paper towels to clean it up. I walked around the corner and followed a trail of the spilt milk through Purchasing, through the little hallway, in the foyer, and on the steps to the front door. I had a lot of cleaning up to do.

I have only stopped at a fast food place for breakfast once this year, though many days I check the length of the drive thru line at McDonalds or look longingly at Bojangles as I pass.

When Belichick got his first head coaching job, the coaching staff he assembled included 9 future NFL head coaches or GMs, plus three more head coaches of major college programs. His defensive coordinator was Nick Saban.
When both were head coaches in same AFC division, Saban attended the Thanksgiving week funeral of Belichick's father Steve (Saban had coached at Navy with Steve). A year later Saban turned down an in-season invitation to dine with President George W Bush. The last time Tom Brady was shut out was in December 2006 against the Dolphins – Saban's last NFL victory.  

I love dropping people off at that airport lower level – much less crowded than above. Another less crowded drop-off is at the International Terminal.

No comments: