Saturday, February 24, 2018

Mrs. Light's Memorial Service

As I walked up the North Bridge for Elizabeth Light’s Memorial Service I knew I was in for a bittersweet afternoon, celebrating the homecoming of a great servant as well as reuniting with dear friends I hadn’t seen in years.

The first person I saw was Milton Jarrell. He recognized me even though he was working on little sleep – he had just driven in overnight from Fayetteville NC. He’s been driving for 35 years. His sisters Rebecca and Robbye arrived. They all look the same. Sure the sisters look the same because they’re identical twins, but they look the same as they did 10-20 years ago. Brothers Bill and Dick are in Afghanistan helping out at the airport. A few days later I had a dream where I saw Bill and Dick at an airport.

Melissa Hollingsworth recognized me, and we had a quick chat.

Dee and Pat Williams were greeting at the door. They still live in the same place, and they look good. Two kids in Europe and one in South Florida, and lots of grandkids.

Drew and Nancy Kelly arrived, and we updated each other about our families. Forgot to ask Drew about the retirement rumor. I updated him on Old Blue, the 1996 Buick Park Avenue that M had bought from his father.

Don and Angela drove up, ferrying her parents. Their faces brightened with recognition inside the car, though it was hard for me to see them. When they got out I could see who they were.

Both David Halls arrived at the same time, wearing similar suits. David Hall saw me at Johnson Ferry. He sat with his mother Mary Ann, who looked great. David Hall must live over near Athens. Someone asked who he was. Sherri’s little brother. Son of the famous thespian Harold.

David and Mary Hurt made their entrance. Horrors: Mary was wearing the same outfit she’d worn last week to the Norman wedding (I didn’t notice, she told me). The Hurts sat in front of me, so I could quietly make comments to David. Later at 4 pm we were leaving when David realized he’d left his phone in the pew.

Marcine was happy to see me, and me her. It was great seeing my old pal Debra Head, who was all smiles. She lives in Jefferson GA. Just last week I was thinking about the old Val Robinson “Ask me about Joy Explosion” t-shirts, but I didn’t think to mention it to Debra. Back when we were at Dekalb Community College I saw her wearing one down on the tennis courts so I hollered the question to her.

Sylvia was sitting near the front, but I hardly recognized grey-haired Samy sitting next to her. I remarked how HE had aged as if I hadn’t. Debra heard, and laughed.

Sat with Edie. Miss Prissy and the Whisenbakers sat behind me. Boy could they sing.

John Condra led the music, and did an excellent job. I waved a hello to Margaret but didn’t get to tell John my long wedding story. Little Gayle Suggs sang a solo. I must’ve missed Rob.

Jimmy spoke for the family, telling humorous and poignant stories. After his mother died he realized he didn’t know never knew her favorite ice cream flavor or color, but did know some things (later Deborah filled in the gaps: mint chocolate chip and pink). Mrs. Light lived a life of service, as a head nurse, mother, wife, and church member. She taught GA’s, worked in the cradle roll, prepared meals for Chapel Choir, and worked in the Family Life Center.

When Jimmy traveled to Africa on a mission trip the missionary there perked up when Jimmy introduced himself. “You’re not related to Elizabeth Light, are you?” Years and years ago Mrs. Light had planted a seed in a young girl at FBC Atlanta, who grew up to become a foreign missionary. A remarkable tribute to the life of a longtime servant.

Dock followed with a short message. Mrs. Light’s great faith was surely an fine example to those who knew her, and a reflection of the great God who loves us all so much.

Grover and Bette Swilley look so young. I told Bette that I see Heather at Johnson Ferry. Didn’t mention Heather’s junior high dance date Ryan Seacrest.

John Parkes and Ricky Richardson sat up near the front. I didn’t get to talk to John. He must’ve made a beeline to the choir room to sing in the Stumm funeral. Ricky asked about the fam. He hasn’t called Ceil lately.

Joy Callaway waved me down after the service, so I walked down to chat. She’s retired now, but had a long day Sunday with the back to back funerals.

Tom Jones Sr had a busy beard. Dan Hayes looks good. Probably because he runs.

Said hello to Bill and Sara Reed, but we never got to talk. Their daughter seemed to enjoy seeing old friends at the reception.

Kaye MacKenzie was glad to see me. Funny how Facebook allows people like Kaye and me to keep in touch much more than we had in the past. Craig was sick and had to stay home.

Sara Maddox looked good. She tracked down Don and me to say hello. Don and I talked about retirement. Kinda crazy. As usual, we picked back up where we had left off – except I really wasn’t there 100% present mentally. Not sure why I had so many things going through my mind.  

Got to see Ron and Julianne. Ron quickly bored with my Acuff/Norman talk and wandered off. Hurt retold the famous story of when he lived with Ron in the old Giles house. This was back in the early 80’s. Hurt went into Ron’s room and Ron quickly covered up what he was reading. Hurt pulled back the sheet – to find Popular Science. Both Don and I have heard the story several times, but let Hurt finish in case he added unexpected flourishes (he didn’t).

David and Ivy were there. Went through the line with them, and we chatted about Whitney and other things. On Monday evening a drunk driver ran head-on into Ivy on Northside Drive, breaking her nose. She was taken to Piedmont Hospital, where hopefully things will turn out ok.

Jimmy’s sister Cathy thought she was telling me something she didn’t know, that we were Facebook friends. I knew. Perhaps I should play a trick on her.

Deborah shared how she would miss the time she had been spending with her mom.  

Louise also remarked about Facebook. One day I’m gonna tell her the story. Maybe. Not sure its kosher. When I started to attend SPdL while in college it was about the time Louise went off to school, so we didn’t know each other. Her brothers were in the Chapel Choir and we really didn’t hang out, but we knew each other. Back then I would memorize the church pictorial directory, so I knew who everyone was. After college Louise really wasn’t super active in singles, but she may have been in Sunday School. She didn’t even know I went to Tech (I found that out years later, and took it as a compliment). I can't recall having any conversation longer than “hello” – perhaps until the most recent Chapel Choir reunion a few years ago. That sets up the story, but I just can't tell it here.

No comments: