Sunday, April 28, 2019

Iron Horse

 
Lou Gehrig…
…is the only hall of famer with more than ten steals of home (493 HR, 15 steals of home).
…batted in more than 100 runs 13 seasons in a row (1926-1938).
…was not elected to the HOF the first time he was on the ballot. In 1936 Gehrig received 22.6% of the votes – while he was still an active player (he won the AL MVP).
…once said ”in the beginning I used to make one terrible play a game. Then I got so I’d make one a week and finally I’d pull a bad one once a month. Now I’m trying to keep it down to one a season.” Also learned something about the guy who batted ahead of him in the order...

Wednesday: stopped at Moes on the way home. For supper I just ate the chips and two kinds of salsa (one had pineapple). M came home with takeout from Taqueria. Then C game home with a salad from Chickfila. Good intense episode of Chicago Med. Violent, which is par for the course on TV these days. Also watched the Braves.
 
We had cake for administrative assistants day. The admins all had lunch from Dominics, the fancy restaurant in downtown Norcross. I wound up with a leftover chicken sub from Dominics. This morning someone brought donuts and cinnamon rolls, and Fresca. For lunch I have my Moes burrito.
 
Thursday: gave an ex-employee a plant tour. I think when he quit they hired me to replace him. Been using his company for years and this was the first time I’d met him. His warehouse is a few blocks west of old Turner Field. It’s a huge old series of warehouses, and several movies have been filmed there, including the most recent Spiderman movie.
 
Coworker Frances recently celebrated her 51st anniversary with the company. A week or so later another guy in her office turned 50 years old, and someone commented that Frances was already working here when he was born.
 
M turned in a term paper. I left work at six. Got home at seven and Ceil was sitting on the couch watching the “pregame” for the NFL Draft, which wasn’t starting until eight. She likes the ESPN College Game Day crew of Reece Davis, Kirk Herbstreit, and Lee Corso. Later we watched the first two picks before changing the channel. Also watched some Braves and more of the draft. C cooked a bean dish, which we ate over rice with tossed salad. Also chips. M ate with us. He usually adds a hot sauce.
 
Saw an article about the ten best BBQ places in Memphis, written by a native. Saw another article about the top diners in every state, and clicked on it to see what they said about Georgia. Surely the Majestic Diner on Ponce de Leon. No. The Marietta Diner on Cobb Parkway, near the Big Chicken. Similar to the Duluth Diner just up Peachtree Industrial from our office. My boss took us there for lunch on Friday. I’ve had a variety of dishes there over the years: burgers, a deep-fried monte cristo sandwich, a chicken philly sandwich. Today the waitress recommended the regular philly cheese, so I got that. Very good. The fries are always just okay.
 
Wore my Memphis Grizzlies socks Friday, by the way. Friday was “secret church” at our Sunday School teacher’s house, from 6 pm – 1:45 am. Ceil went last year. A worldwide thing led by David Platt. I’ll let you know how it goes.
 
Would’ve been fun to listen to Rob Suggs talk about writing. I do need to write up a complete recap of my spiritual journey myself. I’ve added bits and pieces along the way, but not one big overview. And the Wednesday night SPdL May Baptist talks as well. Next Wednesday night I’m going to JFBC for a “critique of Darwin’s evolutionary theory and Theistic Evolution.” I’ll send you my notes.
 
Speaking of meeting subjects, Georgia Tech is hosting a series of lectures to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Periodic Table of Elements. Last week’s lecture sounded relatively interesting, but I still passed. The title was “The Periodic Table: A Treasure Trove of Passion, Adventure, Betrayal, & Obsession.”
 
W&MC are going to Hilton Head with her family in late May.
 
Finally got out SOME of my summer clothes. Need to get more, and put away some winter clothes. It just worked out that I’ve worn three different navy golf shirts three days in a row. One Georgia Tech (Russell, one Nike, and one Under Armour. If I want tomorrow I can wear another navy golf shirt, my Ryerson one.   
 
 

No comments: