Tuesday, April 30, 2019

NFL Draft: Thumbs Down

Had the NFL draft playing on the TV, I’m ashamed to say. Every media outlet grades each team’s draft (but rarely say who they should’ve picked instead). They add the disclaimer that you never really know for at least two years. Then why aren’t they grading the 2017 draft? Duh. MSN Sports gave the Falcons a D for drafting two offensive linemen in the first round, then later an athletic safety from Ohio State in round four. Supposedly they had to hit a home run to get a good grade. Not sure what offensive lineman would’ve been a home run.
 
Sports Illustrated’s pre-draft article on Kyler Murray didn’t point fingers, was up front with who was and wasn’t their sources – and made the Heisman Trophy winner out to be low key, undecisive, coddled by coach dad. Not exactly who you want leading your team. Plus he's shorter than 5'10" and only played full time one year. Sure his fortunes changed tremendously in the past year. The Murray family pretty much strung the Oakland A’s along. Dad has called the shots ever since pee wee ball, pestering Aggies head coach Kevin Sumlin when Murray was at A&M. Dad had a negative experience in the lower rungs of pro baseball, changed his mind and got wined and dined by A&M boosters, then jumped ship one step ahead of NCAA probation. Could make for a bad grade for the Arizona Cardinals in two years.
 
As I’d said, Thursday afternoon I gave a plant tour to a former employee. Then Friday my boss took us out to lunch at the Duluth Diner. Not long after we got back we had a visitor. After we all met with him he wanted a quick plant tour as well. I thought my boss would lead him on the first part of the tour, so I dashed off to get the golf cart to make the second half of the tour quicker. He knew a lot about tube mills and tube lasers. We rode back and I saw him to the front door, but then I had to take the golf cart back and return the hardhats and safety glasses. Took time to visit with the ladies in the faraway office I rarely frequent, who do good work for me. By the time I walked back to my desk it was 4:30. I quickly finished up and left out at 4:50.
 
Drove straight home, finding out along the way the event was starting at six, not seven. C had loaded her car so I parked my car, got out, and got in her CRV and took off. Got there just as it was starting. Was in the basement so my cell phone didn’t have good reception. I try to post to my blog every night, but I had been tied up from 11:30 am to 2 am without a chance to post anything. A miss.  
 
Delicious covered dish supper at Secret Church. BBQ beef, casseroles, salads, cole slaw, cookies, brownies, lemon pie, and other treats. Had to take care of some work emergencies, but got my boss to take over when the preaching started.
 
Saturday morning we postponed small group due to the late Friday evening. More work details and trucks to arrange. Ceil cooked scrambled eggs and potatoes for a late breakfast. I did dishes, cleaned in the kitchen, cleaned upstairs, and did some laundry. Washed and detailed Ceil’s CRV. Sprayed for carpenter bees.
 
Drove over to Topgolf at 6:45, meeting coworkers Jonathan, Brad, Angie, and Rachel, and their spouses. The parking lot was jammed. They even have valet parking. The nine of us alternated hitting balls, snacking, talking, eating, and even a little dancing. I tried out several clubs but mostly hit 8 irons all night. Others hit drivers. Ceil hadn’t hit a golf ball in 24 years but got back in the groove.
 
After ordering several different appetizers, later we ordered dinner. Ceil got a grilled chicken salad. Several guys got the bacon BBQ burger. Several special orders with no onions, no this, no that. I didn’t want mine to get mixed up so I had the breakfast burger with bacon and fried egg and onions. Later we ordered desserts: ice cream sundaes and donut holes. In all the food wasn’t too bad. A waitress kept checking in making sure we had everything we needed. Left for home at 9:45. By the time we got there I was already sore.  
 
Sunday school and worship. Leftover casserole for lunch. Watched the Braves win. The Rockies aren’t slouches. Cut the grass, blew the drive, washed my car. Watched Golden State beat Houston. Leftover Mexican for supper. Watched the movie “Central Intelligence” with Dwayne The Rock Johnson and Kevin Hart. Filmed in Atlanta. Will played golf on Sunday afternoon.

Anna attended her last class today.
Her graduation party - one week from tomorrow - is going to be the social event of the season. On Facebook 82 people have already RSVP'd.

No comments: