Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The Match

Watched “The Match”. You missed Lexi. Ernie and Charles were asking the golfers questions between shots, and the golfers could hear and talk. Each golfer was trying to win each hole like regular golf. Lexi talked about how nervous she was as a 13 year old playing in the US Open. Rory outplayed Max Homa. Rose Zhang didn’t have too much to say while I was watching. I don’t think she won a single hole. She was wearing Stan Smith tennis shoes. Not sure if they had special soft spikes or not.

Monday: worked past 6 pm. Almost 630. Had to stop by Kroger. On the way inside I saw my bagboy friend “The Chief” who dresses up like an Indian at Braves games. We talked Braves for a long while. Then I went inside for milk, grits, and cereal. On the way to my car I saw the Chief again, and talked more. Supper was steak and grits. C forgot to cook eggs to go with it. Was 815 before I crashed on the couch.

Tuesday morning golf. A match with Georgia State math professor Gee. Teed off at 655 am. For the most part I only hit one ball.

1. Hit a good straight tee shot, but low. Good 6 iron to fringe, also low. Nice chip onto green. Missed the par putt. Bogey.

2. Hit a good straight 6 iron off the tee, to the fringe. Good lag putt. Par!

3. Pulled my 8 iron left off the tee. Hit two good chips, but they rolled off the back of the green. Chipped back to where my tee shot had landed. Then a good chip. Sank the putt. Snowman.

4. Pulled a 6 iron left into the woods. Mulligan also left, but much better. Poor chip, better chip. Two putt. “Double”.

5. Poor tee shot got a decent roll. Mulligan got a better roll. Three poor chips. Two putt. “Bogey”.

6. Hit a nice hybrid off the tee. Flubbed a 6 iron. Then an okay 7 iron to the fringe. Good lag putt. Bogey.

7. Okay drive off tee, to the right near the trees. This is the spot I carry a 3 iron for. Hit my best 3 iron ever. Decent distance. Nice chip, but it rolled off the side of the green. Then a good chip. Four good shots – then I three putted. Triple.

8. Pulled my drive left, up the hill just past that tree on the left (above). I never do that. Decent 9 iron to the fringe. Poor chip. Not great lag putts. Double.

9. Poor drive, right and into the trees. Poor chip. Better chip onto the green. Three putt. Triple bogey on the long hard uphill par three.

Finished at 830. Time for work. Tired after walking the 9 holes = 2.34 miles = 5000 steps.

Believe it or not, I think last night I decided that I just don’t like steak that much. Too much chewing. Only like steak from an expensive steak house, where the meat is super tender. Guess I am too much of a regular joe. Give me a burger or pizza or BBQ. Ice cream and pie. The steaks at the following places are pretty pricey: Frankies in Gwinnett, Ruth’s Chris, and Stoney River. Also Firebirds.

STAN MUSIAL [SABR Bio] has hit the most home runs in major league All-Star games, with six - matching his uniform number. His 24 ASG played in ties Hank Aaron & Willie Mays for the most ever. Aaron was on a 25th all star team, that he did not play in. Aaron was named to both 1962 ASGs, but NL manager Fred Hutchinson opted to sit him in that year’s first Mid-Summer Classic in favor of starters Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, and Tommy Davis. Asked before leaving St. Louis if he wanted to be known as “El Hombre”, Albert Pujols was very quick to reply in the negative, out of respect to Stan the Man.

DENISON: Yesterday” is one of the most haunting songs in the Beatles’ 213-song repertoire. Now, nearly 60 years later, Paul McCartney has explained its emotional bridge: 

Why she had to go?

I don’t know, she wouldn’t say.

I said something wrong.

Now I long for yesterday.

It turns out, McCartney had a conversation in which he embarrassed his mother. Then she died at the age of 47  when Paul was just 14 years old. Now he wishes he had an eraser he could use to rub that “yesterday” moment away. Paul McCartney reveals his “Yesterday” inspiration (denisonforum.org)

No comments: