How I would vote for the Heisman Trophy:
1. Stanford QB: Andrew Luck: Should’ve won the award last year. Had a fine 2011 season. Besides highlights, I watched most of his game against
2. Baylor QB Robert Griffin III: Exciting. Excellent student. Set the NCAA record for passing efficiency. Also averaged over 70 yards per game rushing. Elevated his team, both on and off the field. Also a world class track athlete. I watched bits of a couple of Baylor games, including
5. LSU DB/KR Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu: Only a sophomore, his nickname has undoubtedly helped elevate his status as an elite defensive player. I watched LSU’s games against
8. OK State QB
9. Michigan QB Denard “Shoelace” Robinson: The junior was so good that his new head coach eventually tailored the system for him. I watched several
10. USC QB Matt Barkley: Junior. Good student. Devout Christian. Played at Andrew Luck’s level this year. Its gotten harder and harder to succeed in the position he’s in. I saw some of the Stanford game.
I didn’t do tons of research, actually I did no research at all. I’d be the first one to say that the player’s year should not matter: while their “body of work” still matters, the Heisman should go to the player having the best season. Should two players have great years, the player with the better college career should win out. Thus Luck trumps RGIII.