Friday, December 09, 2011

My Heisman Vote

How I would vote for the Heisman Trophy:

1. Stanford QB: Andrew Luck: Should’ve won the award last year. Had a fine 2011 season. Besides highlights, I watched most of his game against Oregon. Last year he passed up being a top NFL pick to return for his senior year, which scores points in my book.

2. Baylor QB Robert Griffin III: Exciting. Excellent student. Set the NCAA record for passing efficiency. Also averaged over 70 yards per game rushing. Elevated his team, both on and off the field. Also a world class track athlete. I watched bits of a couple of Baylor games, including Texas. A very close second.

3. Alabama RB Trent Richardson: the most talented RB in the nation, but just another cog in the Crimson Tide machine. Another junior. I saw him in action against LSU and Auburn.

4. Boise State QB Kellen Moore: A senior, Moore has compiled one great season after another, despite being slight of stature.

5. LSU DB/KR Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu: Only a sophomore, his nickname has undoubtedly helped elevate his status as an elite defensive player. I watched LSU’s games against Alabama, Arkansas, and Georgia.

6. Wisconsin RB Montee Ball: great stats, first as a sophomore sharing the load, then this year as the featured back. Along with transfer QB Russell Wilson, he led the Badgers to the Rose Bowl. Racked up the Midwest vote to become a finalist as a junior. Should be a leading candidate again next year.

7. Houston QB Case Keenum: great body of work, though he mostly played against lesser competition. Offensive system helped pad his stats. I watched some of Houston’s loss to Southern Miss.

8. OK State QB Brandon Weeden: as the record-breaking QB of a high profile program, the redshirt senior couldn’t quite lead the Cowboys to the big roundup. I watched the fateful loss to Iowa State.

9. Michigan QB Denard “Shoelace” Robinson: The junior was so good that his new head coach eventually tailored the system for him. I watched several Michigan games, including Notre Dame and Ohio State.

10. USC QB Matt Barkley: Junior. Good student. Devout Christian. Played at Andrew Luck’s level this year. Its gotten harder and harder to succeed in the position he’s in. I saw some of the Stanford game.

I didn’t do tons of research, actually I did no research at all. I’d be the first one to say that the player’s year should not matter: while their “body of work” still matters, the Heisman should go to the player having the best season. Should two players have great years, the player with the better college career should win out. Thus Luck trumps RGIII.

No comments: